• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Speed of the 28 albin

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

zolazo
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: huntington beach CA

Speed of the 28 albin

Post by zolazo »

I have a 1997 Albin, not sure of the HP of the peninsular diesel. Does anyone know what this vessel should cruise at and the top speed?? I think it is a 300HP.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Speed of the 28 albin

Post by DougSea »

Hi Zolazo,

I had a 1997 28TE and yes, that's a 300HP engine.

Assuming a perfectly clean bottom and running gear I recall cruising at between 17 and 19 kn, with a WOT of ~24kn.

Hopefully others will chime in as well.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Joe/Fran
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: North Kingstown RI

Post by Joe/Fran »

my 1997 penninsular cruises between 17 to 19 kn. at 2800 to 3000 rpm. The prop has a lot to do with it.
zolazo
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: huntington beach CA

Post by zolazo »

What is the correct prop? The boat is slow 12-13 knots. I think the compression is ok according to the mechanic. Any advise is welcomed. I am in the process of purchasing this vessel and want to make sure the motor is ok. I plan to get a engine survey. Where is the hour meter for this year? I do see 1100.00 on the gauge in the center of the dash, it is a digital LED readout. Thank you!
Joe/Fran
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Joe/Fran »

when i bought my Albin it had an 18x17 prop. i could not bring the engine up to the maximun r.p.m which is 3600 for the 300 h.p. penninsular. I could only reach 2600 r.p.m. The prop was changed to an 18x14 and I now get the full 3600 r.p.m. Each boat is different and from what I have read here from other Albin owners no one else runs a prop with a 14 pitch but it works for my boat. What you may want to try [ if you have the nerve ] is to bring the engine to max throtle in neutal to see if the engine reaches the rated max r.p.m. If it does your prop could be the problem.
To have the prop reconditioned and change the pitch is relatively inexpensive.
Joe/Fran
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Joe/Fran »

I forgot to say my hour meter is in the tachometer ina window just below center.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”