• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Boat loan for older trawler

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Boat loan for older trawler

Post by Panhdjoe »

Hello folks.. has anyone had any experience obtaining financing for a older trawler such as a Albin 36? Does any body loan money on this sort of a boat? We are beginning to look into moving up to a larger boat. Advice would be appreciated
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Boat loan for older trawler

Post by DougSea »

Loans should be available, but the terms will be less generous as far as APR goes, as well as term. And they'll want a larger down payment percentage. The bank will want a survey valuation done, and if it doesn't come in high enough that can also affect your loan ratios. I had this issue with my 28. Boat surveyed well, but he value was a few thousand under where I needed it to be. The bank was willing to finance it, but wouldn't give me the full amount I needed. Ended up renegotiating with the seller and got it done, but had no cash left for toys!

I have a guy I used up here in CT, but I'm sure you can find someone local. You want someone who specializes in boats, so your local bank is probably not the best bet.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I just happened to get my renewal mailing from Boat US and opened it this morning and there was a pamphlet on Boat loans. Here is the link. The fine print notes a 1% higher rate for 20 yr and older boats. I have not shopped boat loans so I cannot comment on the competitiveness of their rates. http://www.boatus.com/boatloans/
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Chester B

Post by Chester B »

Not sure if you are still looking but you may want to contact Lynda Kemppainen at Trident Funding Corp. they are brokers but she did a great job for us several years ago. 252-514-4488
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by marko »

I can second what Chester said. Lynda did a great job for me on my current boat, At Last in 2011.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Chester B wrote:Not sure if you are still looking but you may want to contact Lynda Kemppainen at Trident Funding Corp. they are brokers but she did a great job for us several years ago. 252-514-4488
I also used Trident, working with Vincent Luzietti in their CT branch. Very professional and easy to work with.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “General Discussion”