• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Gear Box Shifter and Gear box cooler question

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SAN FRANCISCO CA

Gear Box Shifter and Gear box cooler question

Post by slimjim »

I am having trouble shifting as its hard to shift in and out of gear, took the gear shift a part and lube it up good, then took the cable off the part that connects to the gear box and it shifts fine easy like it should.

So I think its the shift part thats on top of my gear box. How do I lossen it up so it shifts easier? Also is the round part with the two hose clamps my gear box cooler?

And where would I get this part if I need one and how much do they cost? Thanks.
yanmar gear box cooler.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Gear Box Shifter and Gear box cooler question

Post by Pitou »

Jim -
Yes that is your gear cooler on top.

Not that it can't happen, but I've never heard of the gear selector stiffening up. Usually that's a sign that the cable needs replacing. If it's original it's most likely time. At one point my shifting stiffened up. Replaced the cable and things have been smooth ever since.

I'm sure that there is a marine dealer near you that reps ZF so that you can source ZF parts.

If you determine that it's the selector I have 2 spares for ZF gears in the "land of boat parts" at the house. One is brand new and the other is only 4 years old which I swapped out for a trolling valve selector. Happy to give you a very fair deal if that turns out to be what you need.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Re: Gear Box Shifter and Gear box cooler question

Post by marko »

I had shift cable issues on my previous boat and had to replace them. The inner plastic liner gets groves in it, especially if there are turns or loops, then the cable binds in the grove. Shifter and or throttle gets stuck, you over compensate with more force and off goes the boat! Of course, usually when bouncing between forward and reverse to dock.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”