• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Recommendation for repower with Beta Marine

Albin's "power cruisers"
Desertboater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eastern Washington State

Recommendation for repower with Beta Marine

Post by Desertboater »

My new retirement project is a '71 Albin 25 with the old AD-21 diesel. After some internet searching it looks as if a Beta Marine 25 will be the engine of choice for repower. I am evaluating doing it myself, doing part of the work, or having it all done by a dealer. I've discussed the repower with Beta Marine in North Carolina and a yard in Oriental, NC and in Newington, CT but would like to talk to someone in the Washington state area. The choice of Beta Marine is driven in part by the fact that the boat will be hauled on its trailer to many inland locations where Yanmar dealers are few and far between but Kubota tractors abound.

Are there any recommended dealers/boatyards/mechanics in the Pacific Northwest with experience in Beta Marine repowers?
Desertboater
Albin 25 - 1971 originally with AD-21 engine
Repowered with Beta Marine 25hp
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Re: Recommendation for repower with Beta Marine

Post by hetek »

Desertboater wrote:The choice of Beta Marine is driven in part by the fact that the boat will be hauled on its trailer to many inland locations where Yanmar dealers are few and far between but Kubota tractors abound...
Can't help you in the PNW, but I have to say, that is the most logical statement I've read or heard in a long time! Definitely a deciding factor in power plant selection, in my book.

My Beta "go-to" guy in the northeast would be Joe DeMers, in Connecticut. He owns two Albin 25's himself and has done several Beta repowers of them. His website documents one going in, in the "repower" section.

http://www.soundmarinediesel.com/
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

Hey, Desertboater! I met the Sellers of your Albin-25 yesterday at our USS&PSquadron Dist 20 Conference yesterday. Wife and I had lunch with them; nice folks! He seemed to talk like the A-21 motor in the boat is in good shape, considering its age.
Desertboater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Desertboater »

The current owner believes the AD-21 engine only has about 800 hours on it, but there was no hour meter on the boat when he purchased it in the mid-90's. It ran fine when he parked the boat in the barn 3 years ago. The engine does not look that bad, superficial rust in spots; however, picture your self headed for a week trip in the Puget Sound area north of Vancouver, BC and ask "how much confidence in this engine do I have?". My problem is that of too many years babying old engines in 40 year old jeeps and other vehicles. Breakdowns where you have to walk a few miles out of the desert is one thing (always carry lots of water) - my camping partner (wife) has some experience with that. Breaking down in tidal current waters and possibly fog where cruise ships or log tows are common would probably cause her to decline to ever go out again. Seems to me a re-power is cheap insurance for the boat & marriage.
Desertboater
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

Understand how you feel, I'm still letting my 37-yr-old Volvo-Penta MD17C "earn" my trust. So far I like the way it quickly fires up when I turn the key.

The bright side of your plan is a little moor power will probably pleae you, and you likely won't have any trouble selling the AD-21

I bought a 10-hp Bukh a few years ago from a guy who had recently acquired the sailboat it had powered. He faced a couple of miles under power each time he left harbor, and wanted a newer engine he felt would be more trustworthy. The guy had the boat completely refurbished professionally, and a new enging fit that picture nicely. I had no real plan for the Bukh, and after getting it running (three is a Utube video out there) decided to sell it. Had no trouble finding a buyer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Desertboater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Desertboater »

Nick,

Can you provide some information on what look like fuel filters (2 white items with pink tubing), raw water strainer (black item with black hoses mounted above the propeller shaft) and the thru-hull fitting (looks like a reinforced circular "patch" with the ball valve mounted horizontally with a 90 degree elbow to the thru-hull)?

I plan on adding fuel filters, raw water strainer and replacing all the thru-hull valves (may have to replace the thru-hulls also) and any input would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
Desertboater
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

I`m sure you guys have your own suppliers on your side of the pond, but should you get a problem we have a company called. ASAP Supplies in Beccles near Norwich England. Great guys, small company, will do anything to help and stock a good selection of tried and tested traditional and modern marine bits. I don`t fit plastic bits if I can get good brass or bronze, they are far more reliable and will still be going strong when I`m long gone. I also avoid electric solenoids/valves, far better are manual valves as sorting out electrics on your hands and knees with your head under the floor boards in a force 8 I find very character building. Good luck with the new engine refit. By the way I have no connections with ASAP Supplies its that I find they are very good.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Having done a repower my suggestion is only use an engine that you have local support for.
You will need local support eventually.
Do NOT use an engine that you do NOT have local support for.
If that eliminates your choice then so be it, go with number 2.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Mandalay
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Port Ludlow, Washington USA

Post by Mandalay »

Sea Marine in Port Townsend, WA is an active Beta Mairine engines dealer who will help you make a good choice. I believe they were one of the first to represent this manufacturer.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”