• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 Engine Questions

Albin's "power cruisers"
Arjayen

A27 Engine Questions

Post by Arjayen »

I am considering purchaning an '88 A27 powered by a Yanmar 4JH-DTE. The engine hours are a mystery - there in no hour meter in the tac instrument and the owner, who is not the original owner, has no idea of the hours. Also ther is no maintenance log available. I find this strange and see not knowing the hours and maintenance history as a big problem.

My questions are:
1. Was the Yanmar 4JH-DTE a common original engine in the A27 or could this be a repowered A27?
2. Might it be productive to post the serial number of the A27 on this forum to see if a previous owner could shed any light on the problem?

I have quite a bit of experience with smaller Yanmars in sailboats and always kept a good engine maintenance log. But I'm not a mechanic. I think I should have a good mechanical survey done. I would appreciate any comments owners might about this situation.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Re: A27 Engine Questions

Post by hetek »

I looked at a '88 boat in Flanders, NY once and it also had the 77 hp Yanmar 4JH-DTE. I also know there are a couple other boats documented with the "Yanmar 77 hp", so I would assume it is factory installed.

Unless that one boat really got around!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
packham
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: 100 Mile House, BC

Re: A27 Engine Questions

Post by packham »

I too have the Yanmar 4JH-DTE in my 1987 27 FC...it also didn't originally have an hour meter installed but it does now. I find the engine is very economical to run...I burn approx 3 litres (.7 gph) per hour cruising at 7 knots. It is my understanding that these engines are pretty much bomb proof provided the basics (oil changes, clean fuel, fuel filters) are done on a regular basis.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”