• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Advice on Albin AC Pruchase

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Peter_Bda

Advice on Albin AC Pruchase

Post by Peter_Bda »

Hey all,

I am currently looking at purchasing a 1980s(?) 27AC cruiser and although I am fairly boat savey, I was wondering if any seasoned owners have any advice on special things to look for before I purchase........you know, those little gems of info that only a 27AC owner would know :)

Thanks in advance!!
Peter
Bermuda
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

Re: Advice on Albin AC Pruchase

Post by JFOkie »

Hi Peter,

The main thing I would stress is hiring a reputable marine surveyor to inspect the vessel once the offer is accepted. They should inspect the electronics, engine, hull, everything....and then also make the sale contingent on a satisfactory sea trail. Ask if there are any older surveys that have been done on the boat. It's a good starting point and will give you an idea of what was found (and hopefully repaired) in the past.

I love my boat and enjoy every minute on it. When I purchased it in January 2011, there were a few items found on the survey that some buyers would have walked away from; a few soft spots on the decking and the port engine stringer wet and rotted. But I know some excellent boat builders here in the NH and ME seacoast area. I spoke with them, showed them pictures and the survey and had a rough idea of what it would cost for repairs. I then used the survey and estimates in my counter offer and couldn't be happier!

Take your time looking for your boat, if you can find one that has the cabin canvas enclosure all the better. You can tell alot about a boat by talking with the owner and seeing how it is kept up. Check out the bilige, engine compartment, batteries, head, storage areas, etc....

Feel free to email me with any questions, comment, or concerns.

Good luck!
John
"Nirvana"

Return to “New Member Introductions”