• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Re-Engine GM to Yanmar?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Frank13
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Sausalito

Re-Engine GM to Yanmar?

Post by Frank13 »

I have found a twin engin TE 31 with one blown engine (GM's). How expensive and extensive would it be to re-engine with Yan or cum? Would this be an opportunity or a headache? Feel free to throw in your two cents. Is it the engine cost or would it be transmissions/accessories too?
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Re-Engine GM to Yanmar?

Post by Pitou »

In no means do I want to be a kill joy, but swapping out would entail doing both engines and associated gear to keep them in sync. 2 - engines, 2 - transmissions, possibly 2 - shafts, 2 - propellers & 8 motor mounts. In addition you may have some fiberglass work to contend with if the decks need to be cut. You're easily looking at 100k. :shock:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I don't see 100K. I see 60K if you do everything yourself, and I don't see 40K in labor and accessories.
The old parts are worth something as well ad that will lower the overall cost.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Or talk to Peninsular about the cost to re-man/replace the blown engine.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Dexter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Copiague, NY

Post by Dexter »

Blew my engine. Have twin peninsular engines. The port engine was apparently 210 hp (sent to peninsular and had the fuel pumps checked). It appears that the original owner put a Hummer engin in the boat. Anyway, I am currently doing all the work myself and it is a pleasure to work with Peninsular. Great company, great support. Very patient with all my questions and very willing to help me save money by telling me what parts I can reuse and so forth. They never gave me the impression that they tried to sell me something that I didn't need. I bought 2 long blocks (replacing both even though one was still running strong). They cost 6800 each. I am reusing the cooling system and fuel pumps and so forth on the new engines. If you are interested in getting back in you can buy the long blocks and save yourself alot of money. The new engines have forged steal crankshafts which are stronger than the original. I got new fuel lines, oil pump, injectors and other odds and ends. Very pleased with the service so far. If you are interested I can sell you my running peninsular. Has 2400 hours (just a thought). Anyway, I thought of converting to Cummins but a set of used 370 was upwards of 20,000 dollars plus I would have to do some adjustments to the engine beds to gain a few knots, didn't make sense to me. I paid less for brand new peninsulars. If I get 3000 hours out of them with the average of 100 hours per year thats 30 years of service.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

If you are interested I can sell you my running peninsular. Has 2400 hours (just a thought
Dexter,
Consider posting this is the for sale section. There are quite a few GM owners out there. (just another thought)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”