• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Water Pump in 6LP

Bluey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: No Boat, No Port

Water Pump in 6LP

Post by Bluey »

Has anyone (had) replaced the seawater pump for the yanmar 6lp in a 28TE engine box? I know new ones are just shy of $600, but am wondering how difficult they are to replace. I've put new ones on cars and trucks, but never on a boat. My mechanic is saying the mechanic has to stand on his head, an engine mount removed and the engine jacked up. Just wondering.
Maurice the Boatless
Chris & Dale

Re: Water Pump in 6LP

Post by Chris & Dale »

Bluey,
Wow, stand on your head? We just had our timing belt changed (and a bunch more stuff), which included removing the water pump to take it back to the shop and rebuild it for leaking seals. No jacking up anything or head standing. If you have leakage, make sure they get into the timing belt area to check for corrossion. Ours was pretty nasty, but they did a great job of cleaning & painting....looks like new! Steel Hers is a 1999 engine box. The only thing we had to do was remove the engine box cover (pain in the butt!). Job was done in the water at our slip. I used the local MackBoring and they were great! I'd get a 2nd opinion if I was you. If you have a MackBoring near you, I'd certainly recommend them. Good Luck!
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Water Pump in 6LP

Post by RobS »

Sea water pump does not require removal of engine mount. Two hoses, two studs, 15 Minutes and she's out.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”