• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

engine noise

danwarman
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Norfolk VA

engine noise

Post by danwarman »

I have a 1997 28TE with the Beast. It has a full length "bimini". This summer we always went out with the bimini in place. The noise in the cockpit was considerable. The bimini was damaged in a storm and I ran the engine yesterday without the bimini. The noise in the cockpit was much less. I should not think it would make so much difference.

Can I get some affirmation that it makes a big difference so I will not think my hearing is going!
Chris & Dale

Re: engine noise

Post by Chris & Dale »

Danwarman,
We installed a full enclosure last year in an effort to travel any time of the year. Up front, I knew it would increase the engine noise level when fully zipped in or even w/just the bimini up as we'd suppress noise dissipation. But that is a price Dale & I knew we were willing to pay. Naturally, when you start rolling up some of the windows of the enclosure some of the noise dissipates. When we get into Spring, Summer, & Fall, it only takes us about 25 minutes to fully remove the entire enclosure and hang it on a rack I built over our dockbox, and we're off to go fishing. We recently cruised down to Charleston and back to Southport. With the enclosure fully zipped, we plugged in a small heater in behind the Captain's chair and cruised comfortably in 35-45 degree weather. The engine noise really wasn't that bad and we had no problem talking to each other underway. Worth every penny! The difference may be the motor....we have a Yanmar 300 hp diesel, and that was the result of test-driving a 300+ Cummins. When we were done Dale said 2 things: a. I Love It, this is the boat I want! b. There's no way I'm having that motor...it sounds like 2 wide-open harley davidsons in a box! LOL. Thus we have an Albin 28TE w/a Yanmar. Good Luck!
danwarman
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Norfolk VA

Re: engine noise

Post by danwarman »

Thanks

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”