• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

bottom paint

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

bottom paint

Post by jprohan »

Being very old fashioned (read "old") I have always used Micron CSC. But I am intrigued by the new Pettit water based Hydrocoat. Water cleanup, faster drying, and environmentally friendly. Anyone have experience with this product?
Jim
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Re: bottom paint

Post by amber jj »

Jim I have used Aquguard marine bottom for years with great results.It is easy to put on and clean up.Also the smell is not overwhelming.If maybe you have to touch up a area in a couple of years,just a light sanding and apply.The nice thing is cleanup is a breeze.I would never have imagined that a watered based paint could stand up so well.
imagine30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Newport, RI

Post by imagine30 »

Used Hydrocoat for 1st time last year and was very pleased with results. No smell and easy cleanup. Jamestown Distributors is selling their own brand of water based bottom paint which I may try this season.
J O'Brien
WHISKEY ONE
Albin 27 FC, 1986
Coasters Harbor Marina
Naval Station Newport
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Post by sweetwater »

I have always been a micron user myself and tried the petit last year, overall I'm happy but did notice quite a bit more slime on the bottom. No barnacles, just slime. I'll give it another go this year because I still have a gallon left. The petit seems to go on thin, one gallon did my entire bottom (28 foot)
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Post by sweetwater »

Sorry... Double tap. Can't find delete option.
Last edited by sweetwater on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

I boat in fresh water, no barnacles but slime WILL slow you down.
carolmarie, 2001, 28TE, 6LP-STE
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

I have used Pettit Hydrocoat for years on both the Albin and the Whaler with excellent results. Very easy to use with easy clean-up. The only complaint is that is does not hold a strong color above the waterline for the full season. It ends up being a dull or "rusty red" above the waterline, and therefore not the "Bristol" appearance of some other anti-fouling paints like Vivid. The Hydrocoat Blue which I use on the Whaler holds it's color far better. If I were to switch to Vivd for the entire hull, it would require a complete stripping of the Hydrocoat. NO WAY am I going there!
From May to late October, there is some slime which easily power washes away at haul out.
This year I'm going for the new Hydrocoat SR (slime resistant) to see the difference.

Note: I Do not use Hydrocoat on underwater metals. I use the Pettit Underwater Metals Kit, then overcoat with 2 coats of Pettit Vivid. Absolutely NO GROWTH, NO BARNICLES. This was suggested by Pettit when I used to have strut and rudder with BARNICLES.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

Jim,
I a little confused in that I thought the Hydrocoat was relatively new. I've been using Petit Trinidad SR most of the past 18 years of boating and love it in that we keep our boats in the water year-round. Historically, I've been able to go 3 years off 2 coats of SR and routine cleaning by a contract diver. I was looking at the Hydrocoat today as a matter of fact, and while cleaner and cheaper, I don't believe it will give me the in-water year-round performance I'm used to and want for 3 years. Sounds like an annual paint job. I guess it's all about your particular circumstances. I'll be interested in how the Hydrocoat holds up. One Man's Opinion. Good Luck
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Hydrocoat is "relatively" new, but I've been using it for about 10 years. Hydrocoat SR is new this year.
If you have proper prep, and several coats, Hydrocoat is considered a multi-year ablative. .
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

Hydrocoat fan here. Used it on my 29 Blackin and now on my Albin 40. Holds up well over a couple of seasons, never had any hard growth. I have a contrast color base coat; where that shows I just touch up, no need to paint the whole bottom.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler

Return to “Albin Maintenance”