• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 TE Emergency Tiller

Chris & Dale

28 TE Emergency Tiller

Post by Chris & Dale »

Having owned 4 different sailbaots and having had one steering system fail, I'm very interested if anyone has in fact fabricated an emergency tiller? I researched this website and the only post on this was in 2008. I was cleaning the engine raw water strainer today and noticed that the top of the rudder post has a hole clear thru it as if you could put a bolt thru there. Due to the angle of the access to the shaft top you'd have to design a tiller that would fit over the post and be thru bolted, and then go off at a 45 degree angle to come out of the hatch. The 2008 discussion indicated that there is rarely if ever a catastrophic failure of the hydraulics (which is a good thing), but when I go offshore 20-30 miles, should I loose my steering I'd want the ability to steer my way back to port or at least maintain myself in the seas until Tow Boat US shows up. So, unless someone has actually done this, I see a project in my future. As usual, I'll take pictures and document it here. Thanks
ggodley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis

Re: 28 TE Emergency Tiller

Post by ggodley »

That post was mine, because wehn I bought my boat, the surveyor recommended an emergency tiller. The only responses I ever received all assumed it would never be needed. Be interested if you continue to follow up, since I abandoned the idea. :?:
Chris & Dale

Re: 28 TE Emergency Tiller

Post by Chris & Dale »

It's on my new Retirement List of To Do's. Will let you know and as usual, include pictures and details. Be patient, it's not at the top of the list.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”