• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

trailer for A27 Family Cruiser

Albin's "power cruisers"
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Re: trailer for A27 Family Cruiser

Post by hetek »

Found this in an older post:

"I had my trailer built by Loadmaster in Port Clinton Ohio. They have the specs for my A 27FC
Scott"
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
packham
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: 100 Mile House, BC

Post by packham »

Hi Janet, I too have a 1987 A27 and was in the exact same situation as you last summer. I live in the interior of BC and trailer our A27 quite frequently. We hauled her from southern Ontario to BC (over 3000 miles) last summer and have trailered her over 1000 miles this summer. We had our trailer "custom" built by Roadrunner Trailers, in Richmond BC but that is another story. Suffice to say that lucky my bother is a millwright and he has a good friend who is a welder so after 11 hours of retrofitting the "custom built" trailer was ready to receive TA TA.

In re to some of the previous comments a bow hook is required to get the boat onto the trailer and in the right position on the trailer. The tongue weight of the trailer needs to be 10-15% of the total weight of the trailer and boat. The trailer crank/bow hook allows you to ensure the boat is in the right position on the trailer after each loading. Given some of the comments I have read on this forum I try not to put too much pressure on the bow hook, but have not had any problems with the hull around the bow hook.

My trailer is designed such that the majority of the weight of the boat rests on the keel on the trailer...there are 2 bunks aft and 2 bunks towards the bow that basically provide stability, but not too much weight. The trailer is a dual axle and is the 8500 pound model.

In BC my boat is considered a wide load so a permit is required to haul it. No problem though as I can go online, pay my Taxes ($15) and get my permit...same for all other provinces also.

Given I live 5 hours away from the ocean having a trailer allows us to enjoy the ocean and our beautiful interior lakes. We do not pay moorage on an annual basis as we keep TA TA in our driveway which allow me to do maintenance anytime I please. Next year the plan is to trailer TA TA either back to southern Ontario and then through the ICW or to Fort Lauderdale, Florida and spend next winter in the Bahamas.

If I knew how to post photos on line I could post some photos of the trailer.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: trailer for A27 Family Cruiser - how to post photos

Post by jcollins »

You can post up to 10 within the same message if you like. You can also post photos in the Photos forum or just about anywhere else. We're not too picky about that around here. To upload photos. Start a message, click on the "upload attachment" tab, click on browse, find the file on your computer then click on Add the file, then submit when you are finished.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Another quick note on photos - You can't use the "Quick reply" button as the option for adding a photo (and other formatting controls) is hidden. You can either click the "Post Reply" button that's slightly lower on the left hand side or, click on "Quick reply" and then the "Full Editor" button next to submit.

Then the steps to attach a photo are: Choose File - Add File - Place Inline. Before you click on "Place Inline" position your cursor where you want the photo to go. You'll see some strange looking text in your post. Once you submit it your photo will appear there. You can add text above or below the "photo text". As John said, you can have up to 10. I usually select and add all of mine, then I use the place inline to arrange my story.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
AKDW
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SEWARD

Post by AKDW »

I have a albin 27 in Seward Ak and we have a trailer that it was transported cross country with by previous owner. I had it shipped by barge to Anchorage then towed it to Seward. I will post pictures of the trailer and you can email me for longer more detailed discussion if you want. dlwalker@gci.net I found a one ton truck to tow with and wouldn't use less for al trip of more than a few miles.
jneilson
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Glacier Bay, AK

Post by jneilson »

Thanks to all for your thoughtful comments and help!

Wouldn't you know it, but our jack-of-all-trades commercial fisherman neighbor just returned to town and has a trailer that will work for hauling the boat this winter. It has a good keel support, adjustable bunks, etc. We can borrow it this winter while we search for a long-term solution. Shipping a trailer cross-country is super spendy, but we did find a trailer manufacturer in WA state (Tuff Trailer in Lynden, WA) that can make us a trailer with the needed specs if we decide to go that route. In the mean time, we'll continue to look for a used trailer that is already in Alaska or the Pacific Northwest.

Many thanks!
Janet
jeminmystic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mason island marina, mystic, CT

Post by jeminmystic »

Veebyes2, when you have a chance would you take a few photos of the trailer you thought a good match to the Albin 27, and more specifics regarding the boatyard where it is located. Thanks.
AKDW
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SEWARD

Post by AKDW »

albintrailer.jpeg
Trailer27.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”