• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Installing a shower sump

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

papafu

Installing a shower sump

Post by papafu »

Greetings,

My next project on Ment Tu Be is to have the bathroom sinks and showers drain into a shower sump rather than the bilge. Has anyone undertaken the project? Any advise or information would be appreciated.
Sea Crawler
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Trident Yacht Club, Gananoque, Ontario, Canada

Re: Installing a shower sump

Post by Sea Crawler »

My sinks drain directly overboard. As for the shower, I have the drain hose routed to the shaft tunnel area then forward along the stbd side of the engine pan into a shower drain system installed ahead of the engine, behind the holding tank.
Here is a typical system that includes an anti-syphon valve and automatic bilge pump.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... o?pid=4019
Robert Plante
1980 Albin 36 DC; FL120
meridian
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Looper

Post by meridian »

I have the same setup as Sea Crawler. It was always difficult to get all the water out of the sump, which is quite large. I pulled the sump out this weekend and found it is built with a false bottom and 2 legs to support it against the hull. Since the float switch and pump were screwed into the bottom of the sump, 30 years of bad water had leaked inside. When I drilled a drain hole, the stench was terrible. I am pulling out the entire drain system and will put a small pump in the aft cabin, attached to a "T" fitting on my sink drain. This will get rid of 15 feet of old hose. After or during shower usage a flip of the switch will pump overboard. I will use the old sump to store oil and engine parts. I may just toss the old sump and use a plastic container to hold everything.
-------------------------------
Terry
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

Post by JFOkie »

I have an Albin 27 FC and my shower drains into my bilge too, which I don't like. It would be great if you both posted some photos of your project as I too would like to add a holding tank for the shower.... but that's project number 33 or something like that!

The link to the holding tank is very helpful, the system looks like a good setup.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”