• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Slow speed help

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jumpjet231
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Slow speed help

Post by jumpjet231 »

I'm pretty sure it's the cut down rudder because I was astonished at how small it is in comparison to the boat. I'm trying to find a pic to post.
2004 28TE
"Wave-off"
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

A couple of years ago, there was an article in Soundings Magazine about a company that made articulated rudders. They said in the article that they had data from many types of boats that had them installed and it made sense to me at the time. I wonder if anyone out there ever put one on an Albin? The pictures in the article, showed how much better the turning radius was with their rudder installed. Just a thought!
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Here's a link to an earlier discussion on the cut down rudder issue -

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=184&p=705&hilit=+rudder+cut#p705

I posted a photo showing the rudder before and after the modifications.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Pasteur
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Post by Pasteur »

The permanent post on the How to Dock on the TE 26-35 page is extremely important. Using the technique that RicM described you can spin the 28 on a dime.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3015

Just don't touch the helm no matter how tempting. When you need it the thruster is always there. I like to use mine to correct the approach as I am backing into the slip.

Last week the dock attendant at a marina in Montauk watched me pull in. Afterwards he quipped - "I put you in a slip that is 2" wider than your boat, but you didn't use the space so I won't charge you extra."
Zero PSI and Zero PSII
2006 28TE FD, Yanmar
2004 31TE, Twin Yanmars
Jamestown, RI

Return to “General Discussion”