• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Noise

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

James Grant
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Baycrest Marina, Big Island, Ontario

Noise

Post by James Grant »

Hi Folks:

We (my wife and I) are the proud new owners of a 1982 36' Classic. We purchase the boat from a fellow in Holland MI and brought her back by water to our home port in Ontario. She is a fine vessel and is very seaworthy , we put her through some pretty rough water at times.
The trip was about 900 miles and I have a question about a noise that started about 3 days ago.
The noise is heard as a squeek that can only be heard when the engine is nin neutral and we are coasting at about 3 or less knots, typically it was when we were entering a lock and it would only be the last few yards. She has a dry seal ? Not sure what that is. I've looked at it and it's a rubber seal of some sort and It's not a stuffing box I know that much.
I found that she has a fair bit of vibration when under power and I'm not sure if this is normal or within spec - is some vibration allowable or is this a problem that needs prompt attention. Where would I look first and if anyone has any suggestions I would surly appreciate it.

Thanks so much
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere.
Groucho Marx
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Noise

Post by zinbaad »

Fan Belt? Vibrations? When was the last time the props where tuned? Clean shafts? Sometimes, hopefully it can be the simplest things to repair
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Is the shaft seal carried by a rubber boot? If so, is it black and corrugated, could be a PSS. If it's blue and corrugated it's the newer Tides, the smooth blue boot (hose) is the older Tides. Some vibration on a heavy boat when pushing on the throttles to get her over the hump to reach plane could be considered normal but that would not apply to your hull style. Make sure the adjuster and lock nuts on the motor mounts are tight and also check alignment at the coupler and go from there. A dripless shaft seal needs to be water cooled. There should be a small hose, like 3/8", coming off your engine seawater loop to the shaft seal carrier. You can remove that hose and check flow, should be in the area of a gallon an hour at idle.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
James Grant
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Baycrest Marina, Big Island, Ontario

Post by James Grant »

Hi there - thanks for the replies - it's the black corrugated style. I saw the hose going to it so I can check the flow. How would one check shaft alignment ? I don't know if the propeller has been tuned it was described as slightly worn at survey so that is something that can be addressed. I'll cehck and make sure the mounts are tight as well.

thanks a ton

Grant
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere.
Groucho Marx

Return to “Albin Maintenance”