• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

TE 28 Head Replacement

Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

TE 28 Head Replacement

Post by Yearwood »

After the hand pump started leaking we replaced it with a power unit. That lasted a few years and replaced it again. Now this one is going all due in my view to the design which is essentially a column unsupported at the top and subject to side motion by users. Anyway ... the question ... has anyone replaced the entire head with a decent power unit and if so what is the make/model. I am concerned about the dimensions not wanting to purchase a unit that will not fit the tight space on the boat (2001 model).
Don
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: TE 28 Head Replacement

Post by jleonard »

I installed a Raritan Sea Era a few years ago and it has been flawless. I installed the fresh water version but they also have the raw water available.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Bidgood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pelican Isle, Florida

Post by Bidgood »

I just replaced the entire system with an AirHead composting toilet. A little pricey but well worth the effort. If you would like to know the details let me know.

Tom L.
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Albin 30 FC
Hull # "0"
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

Thanks for the info. What I am really interested in is something better, power operated, that will fit in the space available on the TE 28.
Don
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

I see a new toilet in our future to replace the manual Jabsco unit. In fact, I see new hose and a bigger holding tank as well. But back to the toilet...

I'm partial to Raritan. I see three possibilities:

PHC - manual toilet. Big advantage: no need to run wiring.

PHII - manual. Not sure this one will fit.

SeaEra - electric macerating toilet

Marine Elegance - electric vacuum toilet. Not sure it will fit.

I just want something that works reliably without clogging or backing up. Comments and suggestions welcome.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Have you read Ric's short novel on head replacement?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4294&hilit=head
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

Doug, yes, I sure have. He almost made it sound fun! We had a Vacuflush on our previous boat, and they're great units, but I think we're going to go with a simpler and less expensive approach on this one.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Nancy, first off, I would like to thank you for appearing to always search/reference prior threads and bring them back to life. Secondly, you mention inexpensive and simple - have you given your Jabsco unit a chance, my crew consists of 3 ladies and we do more than our share of staying aboard and the Jabsco has never given us a problem. I installed the rebuild kit this spring just as preventative maintenance since it was going on its 5th season. I know this head and Jabsco in general have a poor reputation so take it FWIW.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

Rob, no problem on the forum usage. My forum participation goes back to GEnie days when forums were bulletin boards, everything was very conveniently done with offline readers, and 9600 baud modems were fast!

Based on its reputation and my experience so far, no, I haven't give the Jabsco a chance. lol! It's leaking at the pump handle housing when pumping water into the bowl, sometimes the pump handle resists pumping (the holding tank is not full), and sometimes, after emptying the bowl, water backflows into it. So far, this has not been a disgusting mess because I've only been flushing with a baking soda solution to try to deodorize the entire system. I know, I know, this all points to a rebuild or pump replacement, but I'm not sure I want to invest money in this toilet or spend time working in someone else's ick no matter how much I've flushed it.

Beyond the toilet proper, there's a funky smell in the head cabinets and in the bilge under the helm station that's diminishing, but not gone. The bilges are clean enough to eat out of--where they can be reached for scrubbing. That whole area under the helm station is not scrubbable. So re-hosing and new/bigger tank are strong possibilities.

My tendency toward Raritan comes from Peggie Hall's advice. Are you familiar with her? She's a well-known expert in head circles, and was incredibly helpful to us 14 years ago when our new-to-us boat had a problem-ridden Vacuflush system. Postings in cruisersforum.com are pointing me in the direction I'm headed.

Three crew? All together on overnights? The mind boggles!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Nancy wrote:
I know, I know, this all points to a rebuild or pump replacement, but I'm not sure I want to invest money in this toilet or spend time working in someone else's ick no matter how much I've flushed it.

I felt the same way when shortly after I bought my TE the Jabsco unit showed signs of needing a rebuild, the new twist/lock model was on sale, I think I paid $110 at the time, so the choice was made to heave the old head into the dumpster. This recent rebuild was easier to come to terms with knowing it had only seen "our" mess. But to be honest with you it was internally much cleaner than I expected when I took it all apart.
Nancy wrote:
Beyond the toilet proper, there's a funky smell in the head cabinets and in the bilge under the helm station that's diminishing, but not gone. The bilges are clean enough to eat out of--where they can be reached for scrubbing. That whole area under the helm station is not scrubbable. So re-hosing and new/bigger tank are strong possibilities.
I removed the tank and cleaned the area it sits in and reinstalled it with new sanitation hoses. The hoses are a bit of a PITA to work with. As you know, they do become pourous over time.

I have read her articles, all good stuff.
Nancy wrote: Three crew? All together on overnights? The mind boggles!
My crew of 3 ladies is my wife and my 2 daughters, ages 10 & 12. After re-reading my post I can see that my wording of that sentence may get someone thinking, but nope, no Jack Tripper here!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”