• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Diesel heater size for 28te

Robb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tacoma, WA

Diesel heater size for 28te

Post by Robb »

Winter is here in the NW. Started the boat with air temps in the mid-20's last week.

Standard engine heater just takes chill off.

I'm curious about thoughts of owners with a Wallas or Westbasto AT2000. Both of these units produce about 6000-7000 btu of heat. I want the ability to heat cabin and enclosed pilothouse and these units seem marginal for winter use when you consider heat loss.

Are these units enough or should we step up to the 12000 btu range units?

Anyone in AK, ME or BC comment?

Thanks.
Robb Stilnovich
"Stella Maris" 1996 28TE #279
Cummins 6BTA-370
Tacoma, WA
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: Diesel heater size for 28te

Post by whwells »

Robb: Was at my boat in Anacortes last week. Thought I would freeze before heading back. Actually an elec. heater did fine in the dock. Clearly more will be needed for early and late use of the boat in the NW. I have looked at both the Webasto 2010 unit and the Webasto 90 series units. The 2010 is for a liveaboard situation maybe over kill. The 90 series will heat for non liveaboard use a 34-40 boat. It will produce up to 31,000 BTU's. The 6,000-7,000 seems a bit small for your cold climate according to my research. There is a 31 Albin in the NW I know of that does great with a 2010 unit. It may be more than is necessary for a non liveaboard situtation but has a 20 year good result history. It is likely I will just go with the 90 series as my boat is a 35TE with occassional use. Will save some substantial money and be more than adequate for my needs. I would step up the 12,000. in your 28'. Installation is a major costs so better too get it right. Great Lakes Marine Specalists in Minn. http://www.nav.store.com has a "show sale" going until the end of the year. They may hold the price into next year if you order this year. Prices are also going up after Jan 1 on new orders. Best prices I have found - no sales tax nor shipping fees for on line purchase. They have several smaller units by Webasto listed on line you can check. If you call ask for Rich. He told me they can hold the "show price" in Jan. if ordered this year. I am hoping to do that, but having just faced up to the Use Tax on the boat things are a bit -no real tight. By the way while there we had freezing fog. They call it "pogo nip" I think - whatever it was very difficult to get warm out as little as car to boat.
whwells "Howard"
2006 35TE Sportfisher/Conv.
Anacortes, Wa
Home: Trinidad, Ca.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Robb: To follow up on the size. It looks like the AT3500 would be an okay size for the 28' Albin. However, the AT5000 will go a little bit beyond your boat size needs. My guess as you get some serious wet and cold weather in the NW the AT5000 would be the better long term investment. You can check the web site listed above for prices and detail.
Sould you need him I have located an Anacortes, Wa. experienced Webasto installer who is a litte slow on work now and willing to work reasonably and will allow you saving by helping depending upon your needs & time.
Send me a private email if you need details.
whwells "Howard"
Mark C
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Kalama Washington

Post by Mark C »

I have a Wallas diesel stove and it is working great, but I found that keeping it turned up pasted half output works the best. Spent one night Ilwaco with no shore power, it froze hard, I could have used more heat but 62 deg not bad. My 2005 28 TE has a sliding glass door so I'm heating the helm station also. I have found that if it is 38 deg and warmer the Wallas works great, has low power consumption, dry heat and you can cook on it.
Anthony1013
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Anthony1013 »

I have had similar experience with my Wallas as Mark C has. It really cranks out the heat and it is a dry heat so you don't get a bunch of condensation builidng up. The one thing that troubles me, my furnace does not work well underway. I don't mean when I'm out in open waters offshore, I'm referring to just cruising the calm waters of Lake Union. Has anyone else experienced this?

Anthony
28' Albin "MadMoney" in Ilwaco/Seattle
CCA Member & PSA Sno-King Member
haida
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Orcas Island

Post by haida »

I've also had very good luck with a Wallas stove. I use the boat all winter in the San Juans, and can keep the pilothouse above 70 degrees, even when it is 35 outside.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”