• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 TE Batteriy Recomendations

Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

28 TE Batteriy Recomendations

Post by Yearwood »

Boat partner called today and it looks as if the batteries will no longer hold a charge. This is the second set we have had in a 2001 TE. First set replaced after 7 years for we felt that we were tempting fate. This set did not last as long. Questions:
1. Anyone have recommendation for a good type and make of battery. Originals were Trojan and not sure what the current replacements are.
2. What rating batteries are recommended. Main engine is a 300 HP Yanmar.
3. One problem is that we have always been running with both batteries on. My feeling has been to start with both on but then isolate them. In this latter case what position is the battery transfer switch in 1 or 2?

Many thanks.
Don
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: 28 TE Batteriy Recomendations

Post by RobS »

There are some variables, for example: Do you spend time on the hook and need the most available "house" power? Do you plan to pull the batteries for the off-season?

There are many many types (lead-acid, flooded, AGM) and sizes. There is no real "right" setup, it's what works for you. Do some google searches and reading.

As far as question #3, you have to see how the selector switch is wired, one battery will be your start or engine battery and the other is house. I do not think starting and running on both is bad, but you should isolate to the house once you're shut down.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I agree with Rob. If you search around you will find many discussions on the "best" battery setup. I have tried many brands, types, etc. over the years with this boat and prior boats. I am happiest with the Odyssey group 31. I purchased one in 2006 and two more in 2007. I use one for house and two for starting. I run and start with my selector in the "all" position. When on the hook I'll switch to position 1 (house) so my starting batteries stay fresh. I'll be happy with 7 years. I got mine at batterymart.com.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

John,

Why do you have two starting batteries? With three batteries, I would have expected the opposite: 2 house, 1 starting.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

A single group 31 will easily start a Cummins 6B. Should easily start a Yanmar also.
I usually leave my battery switch to ALL.
With a Cummins I know you can change the battery switch while the enigne is running because the alternator is "load dump protected" and you won't fry the diodes.
Not sure if the Yanmar alternator is built that way.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

I had a 5yr old grp 31 house at one time that started my Yanmar, the Yanmar's barely crank at all and fire right off. But if you're in a situation where you need to crank awhile to bleed off air or crank first to get oil flowing I am not sure how well she would hold up...

Not sure on the protection of the alternator either but the battery selector switch is designed that as long as you go from (1) to (ALL) to (2) without passing the (OFF) position the contactor connection is made before it's broke so no worries on alternator damage.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

Is there a way to determine if the battery switch is designed to allow switching while the alternator is running?
Don
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Are you referring to switching between the 1, both, 2 positions or switching to off? Is your switch a Guest? I believe they are all make before break but switching to off requires the Alternator field disconnect feature. If you feel the need to test you can access the 3 posts on the back of the switch and check the continuity or measure voltage as you change between the 3 positions.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Nancy wrote:John,

Why do you have two starting batteries? With three batteries, I would have expected the opposite: 2 house, 1 starting.
It will start with one battery but Peninsular recommends two batteries for starting.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

Anyway to check is the alternator disconnect feature is installed? Where would it be installed at alternator or switch?

Thaanks
Don
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

It's at the switch. Here's a write up and diagram from BlueSea:

http://bluesea.com/viewresource/91

It's the two, much smaller, terminals.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Most of the battery selection switches are make before break now but an easy way to check is to turn on a cabin light that you can see while switching through the various selections. It should be off in the off position and never blink when moving the switch position through 1-both-2. Engine off during this test of course.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

Thanks for all of the interesting and informative info.

Don Yearwood
Osprey 2001 Yanmar 300
Davidsonville, MD
Don

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”