• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Anchor shackle or swivel?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anchor shackle or swivel?

Post by jms02050 »

Had a "challenging" time launching and retrieving my Danforth anchor this past weekend. It needed A LOT of help off the roller, and then again getting the chain-to-rope section through. Same thing on retrieval. Note that I do not have a windlass.

I've got a shackle connecting the anchor to the chain, and then another shackle going from the chain to the 1/2" 3-strand line. The shackles seem too big - probably 3/4" shackles for 5/16" chain. I basically had to turn them vertical to make if through the roller.

Wondering if most folks here have luck with just using shackles or if swivels are used? A swivel seems "cleaner".
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Re: Anchor shackle or swivel?

Post by special k »

mine has a swivel shackle at the anchor/chain connection. no problems at the pulpit roller, however with past boats i had no issues with shackles. fwiw
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

A rope to chain splice is easy to do (see video) and eliminates all the problems there. Use an appropriately sized shackle from the chain to the anchor or you can purchase a special swivel made just for this purpose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfDyDYC5g1E
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

The shackles seem too big - probably 3/4" shackles for 5/16" chain
I couldn't get a 1/2 inch shackel to mate with a 5/16 chain this wekend, so I doubt you have a 3/4 on there. I think 3/8 is the largest that will fit 5/16 chain.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “General Discussion”