• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

27 ac steering

Albin's "power cruisers"
AKDW
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SEWARD

27 ac steering

Post by AKDW »

I just bought an '85 Albin Family Cruiser with what appears to be original steering, (100hp Westerbeke). The boat handles nicely but wants to go port when running above an idle. Clearly, there is less resistance steering to port and a constant but light hand is need to keep the boat on course. Ideas?

Dan
leprof31
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 27 ac steering

Post by leprof31 »

Your boat looks like some horses! :)
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Single outboards have this behavior (torque steer) and I seem to recall my 28 having the same tendency. It's a function of the rotation of the propellor. I know she turned much more readily to port. I'd classify it as "normal".

:-)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
AKDW
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SEWARD

Post by AKDW »

Here is my solution.
Upon further thought I remembered that I had commented to my wife that I was oversteering the boat. Then i checked the wheel and it had a lot of play in it. Everything was too loose. I crawled around and got an eye full of the steering system. (Teleflex Big T) The shaft on which the wheel mounts runs through the steering box and has a nut and lock nut on the end (9/16) I tighted this nut a little until the slop in the steering went away. Today we were cruising with better steering and no dropping of to port. I am guessing that this nearly 30 year old steering gear box is a bit tired and may need replacing sooner than later.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”