• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bilge Pump Burns Up

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockport, Texas

Bilge Pump Burns Up

Post by rcornejo »

Good Evening Everyone,

I had a small problem that happen to my bilge pump. The mechanic working on the engine spilled a large amount of antifreeze in the bilge area. Apparently, he did not realize that the bilge pump kicked on and never turned off. It was a brand new pump that was recently installed less than one month ago. Needless to say, it burned all the wires leading to the float switch and pump. The pump also got fried.

The mechanic told me that I should consider going with a Rule RM750 fully automatic bilge pump instead of the current set up. I am not sure about that and wanted to get everyone's take on it. I don't know if that 750 gallons per hour pump is good enough to do the job. If it is not, does anyone know where I can order the pump? The last person who ordered it for me is no longer living in the area and I don't know how to reach him.

Thanks again for all your help.
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Re: Bilge Pump Burns Up

Post by ScubaPete »

I don't know why your pump didn't turn off. Was the float blocked by something so it could not drop back down? Still don't understand why that "burned all the wiring" either???

Don't be misled by the gph rating on a bilge pump. That number represents the max it will pump under ideal circumstances: large unrestricted hose, not having to push the water upwards from the bilge, no debris in the water, fully charged battery, etc. A pump rated for 750 gph may only pump out 300 gph when you need it most. Go with an oversized pump if your wiring can handle it.

Some people like the fully automatic style with a switch built in to the unit. Some like to utilize a separate float switch. Either type can get stuck and keep the pump running.
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Hi ScubaPete,

I think the float got stuck and caused the pump to keep running and eventually burn. It got so hot that it burnt the motor and the wires with it. Luckily, the folks at the marina pulled the boat out and took care of it. I think I had the Jabsco pump. It's the one that has the two diaphragms and the pulley that operates the pump. I just don't know what model it was since it burned up. Also, I can't read any of the information on the sticker. I plan to take the pump to Granger to see if they can match it up. If I can, I prefer to go back with that pump since that's what came with the boat.

Thanks again for your help.
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

rcornejo wrote:Hi ScubaPete,

I think the float got stuck and caused the pump to keep running and eventually burn. It got so hot that it burnt the motor and the wires with it. Luckily, the folks at the marina pulled the boat out and took care of it. I think I had the Jabsco pump. It's the one that has the two diaphragms and the pulley that operates the pump. I just don't know what model it was since it burned up. Also, I can't read any of the information on the sticker. I plan to take the pump to Granger to see if they can match it up. If I can, I prefer to go back with that pump since that's what came with the boat.

Thanks again for your help.
Hi Roland,

Glad there wasn't any damage to the boat!

Can you post a picture of the pump? Maybe we can help you out in identifying it.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Joe/Fran
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: North Kingstown RI

Post by Joe/Fran »

Hi Roland,
We also have a 1997 with a bilge pump that doesn't work. Going to the boat today will try to get the information off the pump and will foward to you later today. It's not in an easy place.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Likely the Jaabsco Diaphram Pump. I'll try to remember to get the model number off mine, I'm at the boat daily :D Actually, maybe I should just pull it out and send it to you, It's useless IMO. It is good for zip tieing things too, though :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

After re-reading your original post I see that your pump was only a month old, so my circa 2000 model number will be of no use. A month old and you don't have a receipt? (that's the insurance adjuster in me)
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Joe/Fran
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: North Kingstown RI

Post by Joe/Fran »

the only name plate i found was on the pump motor. i assume the pump and motor are one unit made by the same company. i think it is the original from 1997. the previous owner replaced it with 3 self contained pumps, one near the transom, one in the battery compartment and one near the shower sump. all three are rated 500 g.p.h. the numbers for the original are Fasco 2807 513 118 and 35148 0010 hope this helps.
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Hi Joe/Fran,

Thanks for the numbers. I will look those up and see if it works.

Roland
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Hi Rob,

Thanks for sharing your photos. I believe mine is a Jabsco pump with the two diaphragms. However, I can't make out the numbers. I can tell that the first 3 start with 366. From there I can't tell. I don't have an invoice since another person installed it and never game me the receipt for it. He just sent me an invoice that read installed bilge pump. He is no longer around and therefore, can't get the information from him.

I think the mechanical parts are working ok but the motor is fried. I tried buying a replacement motor for it but it was the wrong size. You indicated that you have another type of pump in yours. Are you happy with it? Do you think it would work on mine as well?
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Hi Doug,

Nice to hear from you. I hope you are doing well.

I will try and post a picture of the pump to see if you can help me figure which one it is. Doug, I also found another big problem on the boat today that I will post a picture of. Behind the captain's seat under the floor is a rib or wall. I am not sure what the purpose of this wall or rib is but I noticed it completely came apart from the side of the gunnel. I suspect that it is designed to reinforce that section of the hull. I don't know how long it has been like that but since I purchased the boat I have not had any mishaps that could have caused that. Perhaps it was missed during the survey or it may have just developed. I will try and post a picture so that you can see what I am talking about. I am not sure if others have had this problem or how I can fix it. Please let me know what you think may have happened or what you think I can to to correct that.

Thanks again to everyone for their responses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Interesting Roland, I'm not sure what's going on there. It's likely not a major structural piece but is meant to separate two compartments, and perhaps add some stiffness. If it were a structural piece I'd expect to see a layer of fiberglass on both sides connecting it to the hull like an "L". Just my opinion.

I'm sure others will weigh in on it.

Have you asked anyone at your yard to take a quick look?
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Hi Doug,

I have a fiberglass person coming to look at it. I don't know what it does or how it affects the boat. I just don't want to head out offshore only to have problems out there. If you know anyone that can look at the pictures, I would really appreciate you showing it to them.

Thanks again
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

That's just a non-structural plywood partition. Here's a shot of mine that I had taken when I was replacing a leaking side vent collector box.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Hi Rob,

Thanks so much. I take it then that I don't have to worry about fixing that! I assume you have been using yours and it's ok. Just trying to feel a little bit better about mine! LOL

Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”