• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Changed dripless seal

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Changed dripless seal

Post by jleonard »

I changed out the shaft seal in my Tides Marine dripless unit yesterday. The unit has been in for for 5 seasons and since I am cruising all summer this year I decided it would be good PM.
The job was easy thanks to my faithfull hose pick which make getting hoses off their barbs a piece of cake. I had to remove the shaft from the coupling, slide the shaft back, and remove the seal carrier to replace the seal, which is a lip type seal.
The seal was still in good shape, there was no groove on the shaft, so now I am good to go.
:D
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Changed dripless seal

Post by DougSea »

Jay,

What's a hose pick and where do you get one?? I pull my 2 1/2" main engine feeds to winterize and it's a total bit*h of a job.

The yard just replaced my stb shaft seal and stuffing box. I had a slight leak around the perimeter of the seal housing and they found it was slightly warped, possibly from being starved of water at some point. Glad I had it done.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

DougSea wrote:Jay,

What's a hose pick and where do you get one?? I pull my 2 1/2" main engine feeds to winterize and it's a total bit*h of a job.
If you google "hose pick" you'll find some sources. I know Sears lists them but I can't recall ever seeing one in a store, you might have to order. I know Snap On and Matco carry the gold plated version (mine are Snap On) but those are hard to buy unless you know a mechanic who buys off thier trucks (maybe you can buy online).
They come in different sizes, I use the "medium " size one most of the time it's easier to manoever.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
normntwrk
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Great Bay Marina Portsmouth NH

Post by normntwrk »

To make winterization easier we installed a "T" in the main engine feed with a valve off of that and it couldn't be eaiser, close the main feed open the valve with a hose in a bucket of antifreeze and start the engine. With a filter on the end of the hose It also can serve as an emergency bilge pump that will put most other bilge pumps to shame
Norm
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

Harbor freight has "hose picks" for $3.99 ea.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

normntwrk wrote:To make winterization easier we installed a "T" in the main engine feed with a valve off of that and it couldn't be eaiser, close the main feed open the valve with a hose in a bucket of antifreeze and start the engine. With a filter on the end of the hose It also can serve as an emergency bilge pump that will put most other bilge pumps to shame
Norm
That's my ultimate plan but with twins and big azz raw water feeds it's a bit pricey. May be on the list for next year.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”