• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Haul, Clean, Paint, Launch - LEAK

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Re: Haul, Clean, Paint, Launch - LEAK

Post by amber jj »

Try the taste test.When you come back and find accumulated water, it may very well be rain water.Put some on your fingers and taste.If it tastes fresh no real worry.If it tastes salty you may then have something to fret about.Just a tip from my surveyor.This only make sense when your in a salt water area.Not for myself in a fresh water lake.
craw_daddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Largo, FL

Post by craw_daddy »

creekman wrote: a leak in the water pump was found in addition. More recently my bilge pumps failed when a cold raw hose ruptured. T28, yanmar 315, flush deck
The raw water pump seal needs to be looked at carefully -especially if there had ever been any significant back pressure caused by heat exchanger corrosion buildup/blockage. The next thing downstream of the raw water pump is the oil cooler, then the inter-cooler, and finally the transmission (gear) cooler. The oile and transmission coolers have tee-tiny passages that easily get clogged with salt build-up due to the impressive temperatures that build up there. If you (or a previous owner) don't faithfully perform cooling system maintenance -the result is an increase in cooling system back pressure, hose fatigue (and failure) and a leaky raw water pump seal (which remains leaky after hoses have been replaced & colling system service has been performed.

Bottom line cooling system maintenance (at least on Grace Full) is replace zincs every 6 months & every two years have the heat exchangers removed & cleaned outside the boat & replace all cooling hoses. This major cooling service costs me ~$900 with parts & labor and I get my oil and zincs changed.
2006 28te 'Grace Full'
Key Largo, FL
creekman
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: white stone va

Post by creekman »

Ruptured raw water hose and bilge pump failure is what happeded in my T28. dd

Return to “Albin Maintenance”