• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New here. 28TE questions for the experts

DTR
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Quincy,MA

New here. 28TE questions for the experts

Post by DTR »

Hey guys, I've spent the past few days reading this wonderful resource/forum. I've basically sold myself on the idea of upgrading from my current 21ft walkaround to an Albin 28TE. I guess what I'm looking for help with is a reasonable list of requirements to narrow down my search for used boats. My requirements (and I use that term loosely) are as follows.
-Somewhat low hour yahmar 315
-White Hull for ease of maintenance though obviously not as aesthetically pleasing
-Flush deck
-New enough to not be balsa cored
Do these requirements make any kind of sense?
My other question is- Is there any particular years to avoid. I've read rumors that very late run boats did not have quite the quality control that previous ones had. Anything to these rumors? For example, one boat that I was thinking of looking at is a 2008 newport edition a couple hours away from me. A 2008 would be a Palmer Marine Inc. and Bladen Composites built boat correct? Were these the quality suspect boats or were the 2007 RI built boats the ones?
Any guidance you folks could give me in my search for a good 28TE would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dan
Al O Fish Us
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Punta Gorda, Florida

Re: New here. 28TE questions for the experts

Post by Al O Fish Us »

We have an 07 newport and love it. No complaints- rumors existed back when we bought ours but no indication of poor craftsmanship. Hull # 929
waterhound

Post by waterhound »

When I got my 05 TE I spoke with C&C - they are still using balsa cores in the new boats. I also got another comment from Standish that none of the 28 TE that they know of have synthetic cores.

Enter the big debate - is balsa core a bad thing? Given the sheer number of these boats, and that I've not heard of any core failures other than someone improperly installing a thru-hull, I am not so concerned. I will tell you that the cored hull is so much more solid going through slop that I would not have a boat without a core in this size/config.

Just make sure that any through-hulls on the boat are properly installed IF they go through the core... note, in the TE boats I looked at - NONE had anything going through the core - they all went through the solid glass parts closer to the center of the boat/skeg - and the Seawater/rawater fittings go through similar areas outboard. Even the trim tab bondings/mounts are not near the core on my boat.. I think if that practice is followed you're looking at a 30+ year hull if not more.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”