• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

We are better off than they are

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

We are better off than they are

Post by amber jj »

Val and I took a trip to Yellowknife N.W.T.Canada in mid Feb.I know we are a little bass ackwards heading north instead of the sunny south,but we went to visit our first grandchild Wynn,born January29.
They too have a fair sized boating community on Great Slave Lake,but unlike us they will be a lot longer before they start cruising.
So if you are feeling a little down and anxious to get the hull wet your really not bad off,as you will see in the following photos.
This also give me a bit of break from the overhaul on the 31 TE.So far the bilge is cleaned up,front V birth reupholestered,Quarterbirth redone,teak vinyl floor patterned but not installed,helm seat redone,side bench still to do,canvass cockpit cover finished,hull and cabin compounded and waxed,the two 370 6BTA's cleaned and repainted with new exhaust elbows and a few new fuel and oil lines, and the battery box redone in starboard.We still have a few more things to do.Hopefully we will be done by mid March.
I hope this makes us southerners feel a little better.
Bob & Val
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: We are better off than they are

Post by jcollins »

Thank you! I feel much better now.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

My work has taken me to Yellowknife a few times...the last time was several years ago in January...the air temperature was -45C and with the wind chill it was -60! By comparison, Ottawa in January is positively balmy.
Several colleagues who lived there had sailboats on Great Slave Lake and they were very active during the short season. Thay told me that you had to be very careful however because GSL is a very large body of water, subject to rapid weather changes, not very well charted, and it is a long way to the next marina!.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Kristo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vancouver

Post by Kristo »

Not necessarily ..........many residents would insist that they are better off.
I lived in Yellowknife for sixteen years, enjoyed the "Northern Hospitality" and have many friends still residing there.
Boating on Great Slave is nothing short of fantastic, a trip down to the east arm is mandatory during the short sweet summer.....great adventure.
I also enjoyed many long winter trips on the ice roads exploring,ice fishing and occasionally hunting.
A snowmobile trip could last a few hours after work or several days.
If you are fortunate enough to learn to fly and have a plane...the world is your oyster
This is a pic of my son and I measuring up a laker on the east arm of GSL near Fort Reliance a few years ago.
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

Wow!There certainly is some magnificent benefits.I have only been there twice,both times in February for short stays.It really is a beautiful rugged place.Our daughter married into the Henry family who are long time residents.Maybe you have bumped into one of them.By the way that is one beautiful trout.
Bob
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

BRRRRRRRRRR!!!! as I look at 72 here today.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Return to “General Discussion”