• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Boat is listing

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito, CA

Boat is listing

Post by Mike Ebert »

I have posted previously about a leak coming into the starboard side of the bow and into the head. Still chasing it, I guess I am looking at sealing everything under the rub rail. I have now noticed that the boat is listing more to starboard than before. It has always been an inch or two, it now looks like three to four. Weight distribution is about the same. I'm concerned that the water leaking in may be saturating the core. Aside from finding and fixing the leak, could this turn into a major problem? :(
CATCHALL
31 ft. TE
Sausalito, CA
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

Re: Boat is listing

Post by JFOkie »

Mike,
First of all, I'm not an expert, but have built and restored a few smaller boats (wood & fiberglass) and have taken some boat building courses at Wooden Boat School in Brooklin, ME., and have done a lot of research on boats...so I will give you my 2 cents worth.

I don't know what type of boat you have, but if it were me I would purchase a good moisture meter, haul out the boat and take moisture readings around the hull and record the findings on a diagram for future reference. Allow the boat to dry out some and take moisture readings again and compare your findings. Make sure the bilge is dry of standing water and take readings at the stringers and hull.

I just purchased an Albin 27 FC and during the survey realized that in many boats Albins didn't use PVC pipe or seal the drain holes in the stringers that allow water to flow to the lowest part of the bilge. Water would flow through these drain holes, but wick up into the wood in the stringers. I have also seen where the drain holes bored into the stringer actually cut into the core below the stringer allowing water to penetrate and soak the core. If this is the case, it would add a lot of water and weight to the boat. Check the hull, decking, transom and stringers for any delamination. If you don't know how or don't want to do this work, hire a good marine surveyor and/or take it to a reputable boat yard and have them conduct an inspection.

The boat that I purchased had some of these issues, depending on your skill level, you could do some of this yourself. You should also check your through hull fittings to ensure they are not leaking.

Good luck!
John
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito, CA

Re: Boat is listing

Post by Mike Ebert »

Thanks John, I'm having by local boat works take a look at it for me.
CATCHALL
31 ft. TE
Sausalito, CA

Return to “Albin Maintenance”