• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hope to buy one (engine room question)

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Parrot Adventure
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Southwest Florida

Hope to buy one (engine room question)

Post by Parrot Adventure »

Hi,

We (wife, two kids, and I) live in Florida and are considering buying an Albin 36 aft cabin with a single Ford Lehman 120. We have been actively involved in the trawler quest only for a month now and previously had an offer on a Halvorsen 32 sedan that is "on hold" by the seller following the survey results. So, we are continuing our trawler search and found an aft cabin Albin 36 we are strongly considering. Our only other experience with trawlers has been through the last four weeks' Internet research and a few recent onboard inspections of boats for sale in our area. We have extensive open ocean shiphandling experience in our former Uniformed Service Active Duty careers and varied recreational small boat (outboard/center consoles) activities. We have decided we have now reached our "displacement hull" ages and going fast on plane is no longer a requirement.

Having now inspected two Albin 36 aft cabins, both with single Ford Lehman 120s, we like the layout and spacious cabin interior of these boats and visualize many year-round family weekends cruising the ICW and on the hook off the beach while entertaining friends. However, in performing my engine room inspection/crawl through on the boats for sale, I find the engine room quite cramped (I am 5' 10" and 163 lbs) and am concerned how accessible portions of the Lehman may be for me. In checking out other similar sized single engine trawlers, it appears other manufacturers' engine room layouts are more spacious and the Lehman 120 access was much easier for periodic maintenance and service on those boats. From my limited experience, it appears the Albin 36s have plywood deck plates over the stringers which effectively reduce the vertical clearance between the engine room floor and overhead deck.

As current Albin 36 owners, do most forum folks perform their own maintenance or hire out periodic service? Has anyone removed the engine room deck plates for more access to the engine and systems?

Also, I would expect to have to perform necessary repairs in the event we have a minor mechanical/electrical breakdown while underway, so any guidance or input on engine room ergonomics or feng shui would be most appreciated.

Thanks and be well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
meridian
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Looper

Re: Hope to buy one (engine room question)

Post by meridian »

The stringers over the engine space all lift out giving a full open area.
-------------------------------
Terry
Parrot Adventure
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Southwest Florida

Post by Parrot Adventure »

Thanks, Meridian,

Yes, I'm aware the painted deck stringers OVER the engine room lift out; my question is whether anyone has removed the deck plates down in the engine room. In the previous photo I've attached, please reference the multiple presumably cooling water and electrical lines running through holes drilled in the engine room deck plates. Where do they go? What shape are the terminal fasteners like on the other ends of those hoses/wires? Is corrosion occurring? How about fluid leakage on the other ends of the hoses? I'm not meaning to sound critical, just writing my train of thought on how I see the current layout.

In other words, I would prefer to see exactly where these lines run, and how they are integrated into other engine room components. My concern is accessibility in either periodic service or an underway repairs. Thanks again for your input.

By the way all, my name is Mark.

Respectfully,
Mark
Capt Kangeroo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Great Lakes, Canada

Post by Capt Kangeroo »

Hi Mark, my Albin is a little different than yours as I have twins and it is a different model, however on mine the plywood plates covering the stringers simply lift out...... as they should. If yours do not, then I would simply unscrew them and leave them that way. You may have to do some trimming around the engine to get them to easily lift in and out, but this should be an easy job. You are quite right about the added space for working down there when they are out, adds nearly two feet on mine.

Cheers Kev
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

Mark,

We have an '87 Albin 36 with a single Cummins 210 and I will admit working in the engine room can be a challenge. There are times when I have been part mechanic and part contortionist. It never fails that I need that 'one tool' once completely 'folded up' in the engine room. That's where having a good FM (first mate) comes in handy to be a gopher. The engine is pretty easy to get access once fully exposed (like your photo) and I haven't had the need to remove any boards to get more room. Immediately in front of the engine is a board that covers the shower sump. That might give you a little more room if it's dry and empty. We also have a generator forward of the 'sump' area. It's pretty accessible as well. Having said all that, I have been in engine rooms on other trawlers at Trawlerfest and can't believe how roomy many are compared to the Albin's. Overall, you'll be happy with a 36 and will enjoys nights on the hook.

Rob
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
ppmeis
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Marinette, WI

Post by ppmeis »

I also have a 36 aft cabin, coincidentally I am just your size. I have a number of projects planned for the bilge this spring. (new water heater, replace part of one of my raycors, fix the sump pump, re-route the exhaust for the genset, etc..) There is no easy way, it is a tight fit, I have the single Ford 120, can't imagine what it would be like with twins. I try to only do 1 or two projects in the bilge at a time, (I'm 61 years old and getting stiff) try to think ahead and take everything you need down with you, or have a "handy" first mate. I thought of hiring someone skinny with at least a little mechanical ability but I learned that the anticipation and "dread" of going below is generally much worse than actually doing it. Just allow plenty of time. ALWAYS check the solonoid wire on the Port side of the engine when you are done, I kick it off almost every time I go below. Good Luck, pete

Return to “New Member Introductions”