• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

STOP button

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

STOP button

Post by sweetwater »

Hi Folks, I changed my oil this weekend and tried to engage the stop and start button at the same time to try to crank the engine and get some oil pressure prior to starting. The engine fired right up.... stop button does not work. Anyone here had a problem with theirs that can help? Boat is an 05 28TE 315 6lp with the big red kill button. Thanks for any suggestions.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: STOP button

Post by RobS »

It may have never worked?
Are you sure it once did?
Did you ever kill the engine with it or have you always used the key?
I don't think any 2 Albins were wired (or built) the same...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Post by sweetwater »

I never used it, always used the key.... Maybe its not even hooked up? Gotta get under there and take a look.
Nowhere Special
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Catawba Island, Lake Erie

Post by Nowhere Special »

Tried my button Sunday after changing oil & filter. While depressing the kill button I was able to crank the engine over without it firing up. :)
Dave
1999 28TE Aba Daba
Dudley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Islesboro, Maine---Pripet landing The north east end of the island

Post by Dudley »

I stopped for fuel at Sandy Hook, NJ. A group of Albin owners came over to check out my 28TE. I asked all 5 if they used their Stop button. 2 did. 1 said his button did not work. The other two did not know if the Stop button worked or not because they never use it. Since first reading this post 5 months ago I try to always use the STOP button.

I have a 1994 Albin 28TE and it has only one fuel vent which is next to the fill cap. To get a full tank I must use ballast on the port side of the boat to raise the filler cap high enough so the vent does not fill with fuel. I used all 5 albin owners plus myself on the port side of the boat and we were able to get the full 133 gallons of fuel in the boat. Without the ballast I can only fill to 108 gallons. Since I was cruising from Maine to Florida it was important to get as much fuel as possible into the boat. I had 15 gallons in 5 gallon containers for an emergency but never needed it.
sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Post by sharffj »

Stop button is an electronic solenoid which if doesn't work try lightly tapping the solenoid with a wrench. Solenoid is on the port side of the engine near the primary fuel filter if I remember correctly.
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

Both the stop button and the key work on my boat. I never tried the key until I read this thread. Is one better than the other? Why have the push button if the key will work?

Thanks TD
Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Ron »

Dudley,
I was one of the Albin owners who assisted you that day. I must say you were quite the topic of discussion for awhile. For those of you who haven't met Dudley, I don't think I'm being unkind when I say Dudley and his friend are not young people.

After exchanging greetings and helping fuel his boat I asked if they were taking a slip or anchoring out that night. The time was around 4:30 PM and sunset was around 6:30. He stated, no just stopping for fuel. Further stating they were heading for Florida nonstop.
We asked why not just ship the boat by truck. His answer was "both cost about the same so why not run the boat there". I was impressed to say the least!

I've often thought about those guys and wondering how they faired. I'm glad to hear you made it!

Now, Dudley, how about some details of the trip?
Owner of 28' TE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”