• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Heading South

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Re: Heading South

Post by tbnolin »

Thanks all of you for your extensive input!! We did venture across Albemarle sound this morning and it was definatly a crossing that you needed to pay attention to....especially when approaching the Alligator River. We decided to dock for the night at the Alligator River Marina for the night. Topped off our tanks, as we have at each stopover. It was and easy 30 mile trip that took about 4 hours to make. Strong winds for tonight and wind and rain for Thursday....may hang out here and wait for the weather to break on Friday before we head to Bel Haven. Beaufort is a stopover that may last a few days as we are looking to rent a car and and head to Virginia for Thanksgiving. We have heard a lot of good things about both Beaufort's and Bel Haven. After tomorrow, the weather is looking pretty good to catch up on some down time.

I had a Skipper Bob's in my hand yesterday....Thumbed through it and said this has some good info in it. I put it back saying that I have the Maptech Guides that show...I think.... most everything I think I should know. I hope I don't regret not getting it.

Stay tuned and again THANKS for all your input!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Home, Treasure Island, Florida

Post by Chuck Waygood »

TB Nolin. Don't think it is always llike this. In driving south over the last two days, the highway warning signs frequently said "high winds. Use caution". Not great weather for boating. But on the south side of Pamlico you will be in relatively sheltered waters. Not great yet, but should get better. Stay safe.
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tbnolin »

Thanks for all the advice! It is most appreciated!

We have made it to BOfert, NC for the night. We stopped at the Seagate Marina. Very friendly and a little less expensive then the town docks. We did do some biking around this establishment. Seems though the community owns the marina and takes care of it. Very impressive place. A definate stop!

I'm still having a problem with the power thing. Some places it's included...some places 5 bucks...some places 7 bucks and the most we've paid is 15 bucks for one night! I just don't get it. maybe we should anchor out more and run the generator.

The weather today was superb. A nice ride down from Belhaven...looking to make....well I guess I don't know...tomorrow!

marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by marko »

Hi Tom: Hope you made it to Beaufort well. We made New Bern just fine. The Neuse only got better and better going north. Warm and nice pulling in. So much better than removing ice in Coinjock. Enjoyed meeting you all in Belhaven. Do contact us when you're in Wrightsville Beach. Have a good Thanksgiving.
Marko, At Last
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I'm still having a problem with the power thing. Some places it's included...some places 5 bucks...some places 7 bucks and the most we've paid is 15 bucks for one night! I just don't get it. maybe we should anchor out more and run the generator.
I think I would have a problem with that as well. It's not that I can't afford it, it comes down to the principal. 5.00 - 7.00 o.k. I get it. They have gone through the expense of installing everything. 15.00? Wow! For one or two nights? :lol: I would just crank up the generator for the time it takes to brew coffee. Then again, this time of year, you may need heat at night. :roll:

Marina's we visit around here are 5-7. The Hyatt in Cambridge charged a "resort fee". I think that was 12.00 a night. I bitched, to myself, but if you want to stay...you pay.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Interesting comparison for power vs slip only. For private campgrounds, even state parks, the difference between power, usually 30 amp, & no power is only a few $. They often charge a few more for 50 amp.

We seldom pay over $40 per night, even for a 50amp sight.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Veebyes 2: Just a thought on RV space fees. We used to stay along the Oregon Coast in very fine, clean parks with full hookups and amps 15-30 at 15.00 dollars per nignt and even recent times around 20.00. Sadly, we are now finding the nice motorhome parks don't won't with an RV over 10 years old regardless of condition and think nothing of 50.00-60.00. per niight. Some of the former Oregon State Parks which are extreemly nice have upgraded to 30 & 50 amp but are still below 30.00 per night. That is a good buy these days with paved, clean sites separted by trees.
You can see the ocean but it is not like being on it. Keep on RVing with time for Cruising & Fishing.
whwells "Howard"
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tbnolin »

And yet, here's another one for you. We are staying in Wrightsville Beach at a marina called Dockside Resturant and Marina. A total big thumbs up!! $1.50 pf for the first night, $1.00 for the second night and .75 pf for every night after the second. WiFi, water, AND power included, regardless of what amps you have. The dock master was not around for him to open up the ice cooler, so I went up to the bar and asked if I could get a bag of ice and she said sure, I'll be right back. The bartender comes back with a 10 gallon bucket of ice and hands it over to me...asked how much do I owed her...."nothing"...just bring back the bucket. Tipped her well later on when we went for a tody. One thing we haven't had in over a week or so, is cable. Seems Irene did damage to a lot of the cable system through these parts and that's been on the back burner for repair.

Tonight, the resturant had a special...all the oysters you can eat. Just got back to the boat....never have I had sooooo many oysters!! All steamed! 6 full peck buckets of those puppies.....man were they good!

We arrived yesterday, met up with Mark who we met up with in Bel Haven while he and his good friend George were transporting Mark's new 36 Albin back to New Bern. A sharp looking vessel you have there Mark! We'll be here until Sunday am and then head towards Southport.

marko
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by marko »

Tom: Hope you and Brenda had a good road trip up north. We got back from New Bern yesterday. How'd it go running Snow's Cut and heading south down the Cape Fear? It can be interesting...
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tbnolin »

Hey Mark! Not a bad trip at all. I was doing 7knots at 2200rpm's going through the cut. Bad timing with the tide...oh well! The River was relativaley calm in comparision to what it could be, a nice ride.

Had a good time Saturday with all the festivities around Wrightsville. George took some snapshots of Blue Moon going through the channel while looking for a place to drop the hook. You guys were a big help, thanks!

Right now we are at BareFoot Landing Marina. Looks like were going to be heading for Georgetown Wednesday morning.

A small chill in the air...but sure beats shoveling that white stuff!

marko
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by marko »

Hi Tom: Just got back from New Bern, it was 29 last night. Where are you now and what's the temp? I'll ask George about the photos, maybe he's already sent them to you. We're having a Saturday slide show from our trip (it was mostly cold ). Mark

Return to “General Discussion”