• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Nissan oil capacity

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

johnvb1014
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Wilson NY

Nissan oil capacity

Post by johnvb1014 »

Greetings All

For the last year I have been one of the "lurkers", trying to absorb lots of info. Last fall we bought an '85 27 ft AC cruiser and did just about everything that can be done in restoring her. Having done that and feeling like I know the boat inside and out, I'm almost embarassed to be asking such a simple question. But here goes.

My Nissan LD28M owners manual says oil capacity for 0 degree installation is 8.33 quarts, and for 6 degree installation is 6 quarts. The engine obviously is not horizontal, so if it assumed it is about 6 degrees and 6 quarts is sufficient, my dip stick (which is hard to get consistent readings on) appears to indicate an oil level only a bit above the low mark.

So the question is, is 6 quarts the correct capacity? Because the dip stick is toward the rear of the engine I would have expected the dip stick to read near full with 6 quarts. I have read some previous posts on this, with owners indicating using 8 and maybe even 9 quarts. What I'm seeking is the rationale behind using whatever amount is correct, given the owner manual recommendations.

Thanks, JVB
Roy
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Hampton NH

Re: Nissan oil capacity

Post by Roy »

I have owned one of these since 1988 ane now have about 2800 hours. I fill to the full mark on the dipstick which, with filter, is about seven quarts.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”