• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Aluminum window frames, 31TE

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

gvare
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Belvedere, CA

Aluminum window frames, 31TE

Post by gvare »

The alum window frames on my 31TE (2001) are beginning to corrode - particularly around some of the screw holes. Any recommendations? George, Hummmdinger, San Francisco
gvare
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Aluminum window frames, 31TE

Post by gvare »

Actually, I am referring to the alum. strips (painted white) on the outside of the windows which cover the outside edge of the window at the housing. G
JeffM
Mate
Mate

Post by JeffM »

George:

Been through this. Paint is peeling due to corrosion of the aluminum. I think the only way to permanently fix this is to remove the window frames, have them properly cleaned with acid and then properly painted. This is a huge job. Local boatyard told me this would probably cost $5,000 plus.

Last year I touched up my window frames where necessary. I sanded down the corroded areas, etched and primed the alumimun and painted the areas with Brightside. There is a color of Brightside that matches pretty well. I painted it with a brush. Turned out pretty good. My touch up is not real noticeable unless you look real close. A year later, still looks good, but a coupe of areas are starting to corode again. This is a maintenance thing that will probably need to be touched up every year or two.

The next time I do this, I am going to take a paint chip down to the local automotive paint supplier and have him match the paint. They will do this and put the paint in an aerosol spray can. I will then clean the area, prime with zinc chromate and use the automotive paint in the spray can. This will be alot easier and will proably look better.

Good luck!

Jeff
jrjr
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Kingman Marina MA

Post by jrjr »

Is there any preventive maintenance to avoid this?
gvare
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gvare »

Jeff: thanks very much likely the way I will go. George
psalbin43
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fall River, MA

Post by psalbin43 »

Last year I saw a vender at the Providence boat show that powder coated your metal parts. I know powder coating is a good preventive against corrosion. I also don't think it would cost anywhere near five grand. Mine are still wood frames but I would look into this option for any metal protection.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”