• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Member in Vancouver

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Kristo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vancouver

New Member in Vancouver

Post by Kristo »

Ive Been lurking around the site for a few weeks and thought it was time to say hi
I am considering moving into a larger boat than the 2470 Pursuit walk around that I now have as the admiral wants something with a few more comforts.
The 28TE may just fit the bill as it is a little beamier, well built, small enough to single hand yet large enough for the 2 of us to go cruising for a few days.
I do have a few questions about the 28TE
Fish-ability is important as I love to fish ...mostly trolling for salmon.
The trolling valve option is intriguing although most fish boats around here will use a kicker....any thoughts?
Was out today and saw a 28TE using a kicker to troll.
Is using a trolling valve hard on a diesel?
I think the sliding door version is more suitable for the PNW however I could see the bulkhead being obstructive when your dashing to grab a rod that's gone off.
How well does the cabin heat function?
How well do they track hands off ....say if your setting gear and your solo?
Is a cruising speed of 20 knots pushing a Yanmar too hard?
Im sure I will have more questions....some of which Im sure I will find on a search
Thanks
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Re: New Member in Vancouver

Post by joe.baar »

Chris,
Trolling valve should not have any effect on the Yanmar. If you can make the valve work. It re-routes part of the tranny fluid.

I have Sunbrella/Isinglass curtains and would never trade for an Alaska Bulkhead w/sliding doors, way too restrictive.

Red Dot or other saloon heater is more than adequate in the wet, nasty PNW winters.

Boat tracks straight for at least a half mile at idle under no- or little-breeze conditions. Otherwise a 1/2-mile circle might happen but you will adjust. Consider an inexpensive autopilot?

My Yanmar runs about 15 knots SOG per GPS when the tach says 3300. The tach might be wrong or the prop might need to be cupped. I don't care enough to spend the bucks to find out. My 6LPA has never made this hull go 20 knots even downwind with a perfectly clean bottom. Don't watch the speedometer, watch the RPMs.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Welcome aboard Chris - You will find the Albin to provide more accomodation and comfort than the Pursuit. My slip finger neighbor has the 28 Pursuit and has commented often how much more the Albin offers in protection, better ride & providing a more comfortable stay while cruising.

I have a trolling valve that really helps to get the speed down when on the troll, especially when I'm dragging lead core for stripers and trying to get speeds down to the 2 kt range. As far as the bulkhead ... I have one and wouldn't give it up. When I bought the boat I wanted the dealer to remove it as I thought it would inhibit my ability to react when fishing and that the cabin would get too warm during the hot summer months. He suggested I try it for a season and I'm sure glad that I did. Plenty of air moves through, I can get to the rods plenty quick ... the cockpit is not that big ... 3 steps and you're there and the warmth of the sun with all that glass provides some warmth without a heater, though supplementing it with something on a Wuthering Heights kind of day isn't a bad idea either. I sometimes will run the genset and kick on the reverse cycle air to warm things up. No matter which set-up you end up with, bulkhead or drop curtains, you'll be getiing the most seaworthy and bang for your buck boat in the 28 ft. class.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Chris: Welcome to AOG. There are many of the 28TE owners who can and will give you good advise. I am a new Albin owner still waiting to get it into the water in Richmond, BC. I know several 28 owners from Brookings, Or all who love the boat. Great fisher and weekend liveaboard. One of the really fine features it is towable on your own trailer. Are you located in Vancouver, BC or Wash. State? You will find as I have that this group of owners are wonderful at giving advise and good reasoning. In addition it is an enjoyable membership. Best of Luck on your search. Sent you a private message as well regarding my interests in a part trade of my previous boat for a smaller towable.
whwells "Howard"
35TE Sportfisher Conv.
"Nibbles"
Kristo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Kristo »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
I am in Vancouver BC and have been enjoying reading many posts on the site.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Hello Chris,
Welcome to Albin Owners Group. From what I read in other posts a cruise 15-17 knots seems realistic.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Chris: Thanks for coming over to see "Nibbles" while I cleaned her up from the travels. Enjoyed meeting you and having the beer. You will be a fine Albin supporter and owner soon I suspect. It is my impression that the 28 Albin with the 370 Cummins is fairly rare. Most were Yanmar 300 or 315's. Have seen a few of the 370's but mostly in the 31 Series. Will see you again when I am back in Vancouver. Perhaps others can tell you if there were many 28's with the Cummins 370.

whwells "Howard"
35TE Sportfisher/Conv.
Kristo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Kristo »

Howard I can see why you fell in love with Nibbles....shes a beauty
Was great meeting you and hopefully we can hook up soon and chase some salmon.
If I can help you out .....give me a ding
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

whwells wrote:Chris: It is my impression that the 28 Albin with the 370 Cummins is fairly rare. Most were Yanmar 300 or 315's. Have seen a few of the 370's but mostly in the 31 Series. Will see you again when I am back in Vancouver. Perhaps others can tell you if there were many 28's with the Cummins 370.

whwells "Howard"
35TE Sportfisher/Conv.
I have the Cummins 370 in Pitou and yes there are not too many around, but they're out there. When I was looking for my 28 I was specifically looking for the 370 and found a clean hull with 89 hours on her at 2 seasons old. The 370 was an option in the 28 series and available in the engine box and not the flush deck given the space constraints. Like all engines ... there is always something. There was an update to the after cooler where a purge valve needed to be added to allow condensation on the air side to purge after shutdown. I chose to update to the new cooler with the built-in valve as opposed to adding the purge valve to my existing cooler. The original casing and bundle sits in the land of spare parts. Anyone who owns or is looking for the B or C series Cummins should perform or check for the update.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
ctlionsden
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ctlionsden »

Hello, Chris,
I'll be visiting family in Vancouver over the next couple of weeks, and thought we might get together over a beer to talk about Albins or what's running at the mouth of the Capilano.
I spent about a year researching used boats till I discovered Albin boats. Then it was just a matter of finding the right one.
Discovering the AOG, as you have, was a big bonus--spending a few hours on the site feels like you have dropped in on a class or extended family reunion.
I'll email you my number and schedule, and hope we can get together.
There's a friendly bar on Canbie with a great selection of beer and ales on tap...
Looking forward to meeting you,
Lionel

Return to “New Member Introductions”