• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

200 mile shake down

Albin's "power cruisers"
96flht
Mate
Mate
Home Port: New Bern, NC

200 mile shake down

Post by 96flht »

Here are a few fuel consumption and speed numbers for your consideration. I just completed a run up the ICW in North Carolina. The trip was 200 statute miles. My 1986 A27 with the 78 hp Nissan burned 28 gallons of fuel and averaged 6 knots. The weather varied from dead calm to very rough but the A27 proved seaworthy and comfortable for the 4 day trip.

Jack
leprof31
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 200 mile shake down

Post by leprof31 »

around 35 hours trip... 4-5 liters/hour, this is realy good!
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

Jack, I am glad to hear your Boat is doing welll. Last year we ran Kippy Girl, our family cruiser with the same engine from Charleston SC to Wrightsville Beach NC and back. We avreaged 1.3 GPH also. We had an interinsting time in the Cape Fear river with some of the roughest water I have ever been in. I gained alot of cnfidence in The 27 family cruisers abilty to handle the rough stuff. Joe
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
96flht
Mate
Mate
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by 96flht »

Joe,
We hit some pretty rough stuff in the Neuse River the first day out. This is a new boat to me and we only had about 1/4 tank of fuel. My main concern was kicking up sediment in the tank and clogging the fuel filter. I certianly did NOT want to be out there without power. As it is, the boat handled great and ran like a top. One quick question for you. I am getting a noise at the stearing station that sounds like an unlubed mechanical tach cable or something. It is fairly loud but I can't find the source. I'm thinking it may be telegraphing transmission noise through the cables to the Morse controls. Does your A27 make this noise or have you heard of one that does? It doesn't seem to be hurting anything but it can be a little annoying as it is almost as loud as the engine noise, although that isn't very bad either due to a well insulated engine compartment. Also, my Nissan used about a 1.5 quarts of oil over 200 miles. This doesn't sound too bad for a 25 year old engine but how does yours do?
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

When my engine water pump went out I frrst started hearing the noise at the throttle and shifter controls at the helm. I sounded so much like it was coming from the controls that I took them apart and looked at them first! The noise totaly fooled me, so YES the engine noises do telagraph through the cables.
My engine does not burn any oil at all, 1 quart in 200 miles @ 6.5 kt would be about like a car that burns a quart every 1000 miles, a little on the high side but can be lived with.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”