• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
achester

Post by achester »

I have a 1992 32 foot command bridge Sport Fish Albin purchased 10 years ago named Amore. It has been a joy with no more than the usual problems. I keep in in Annaplois at Cheasapeake Harbour. The 2116 300 hp Caterpillar Engine has 1750 hours and, aside from a new riser, new turbo, and some heat exchanger issues has hung in there well. Same Northern Lights 5 generator for 20 years with 659 hours on it.

I wonder whether I should do a major maintenance job on it or stick with the usual routine maintenance with the thought that I'll need to repower it someday. BTW: how much does repowering cost? Any ideas out there?

I assume it has a balsa core. Haven't noted any problem with water. Is water in the core a common problem as the boat gets older?

Alec
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: ANCHESTER

Post by whwells »

Welcome to AOG Alex: Some very good questions. My only experince with the Cat was a 300 hp as well in a Foretravel motorhome the early 90's. Never a problem with the engine just steering and wobble around like a tank. However, the engines were suppossed to be low rpm and if you honored that requirement they woudl run forever. We all know that boats work everything harder. Does not seem to me 1750 hours on a diesel is bad. Those things you have replaced are typical with salt water issues. Sounds like the Northern lights has treated you well. My personal experience having had a Detroit Diesel, Yanmars in 2 boats, and the Cat. is get the best service possible on time or sooner. My practice is too service annually however, few hours the toys get. They just last then. Finally if he an't BROKE DON'T FIX IT has been hammered into me for years, and frankly it works. Keeping up the maintainance is a different thing, so that always should be done fully & timely.
You are looking at a bunch for repowering. My best estimate is 20,,000-30,000 per engine. Keep it going serviced (inc the major if needed) and save money.
whwells "Howard"
35TE Sportfisher/Conv.
"Nibbles"

Return to “New Member Introductions”