• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Peninsular 300 Questions

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

drbbb8641
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Channel Islands, CA

Peninsular 300 Questions

Post by drbbb8641 »

Hi all,
First, I am sorry to post this on 2 forums but I figured it fit better here + i wanted to introduce myself:

I am new to this forum, but have had my eye on a 1995 28 TE for a little while now. I have absolutely fallen in love with the boat. My question is regarding the engine. Currently the boat is equipped with the Peninsular 300 diesel. 1464 hours.

I have hear mixed reviews on this engine (the negative reviews are making me a little uncomfortable). I was wondering if you Albin owners have any feedback, or experiences with these Peninsular engines. I know the Yanmars pack a little bit more HP, but I just want to know how you all feel about the Peninsulars. Should I focus on the Yanmar boats or is the Peninsular a safe bet.

The boat I am looking at is represented by a broker so I will have a sea trial, engine and boat survey done before anything is decided.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice/ or any other info you have

Derek
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Peninsular 300 Questions

Post by DougSea »

Hi Derek, and welcome!

We had a 1997 28 TE with "The Beast" and loved it! Powerful and trouble free, easy to work on, and good support from the factory. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to buy another.

There's no question that the Yanmar's enjoy a better reputation but honestly, the Penninsular is a good solid engine, and ALL of the makers have had issues here or there. Get the serial number and call Matt at Penninsular and talk to him. He's helpful. If the boat, and engine, survey well you can't go wrong.

Good luck!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
drbbb8641
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Channel Islands, CA

Post by drbbb8641 »

Thanks for the advice. I am going back to see the boat tomorrow and im gonna get that serial #.
Glad to hear you have had a good experience with the Pen.

Derek
bluechip7676
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: West Falmouth, Cape Cod, MA

Post by bluechip7676 »

I have a 1998 28TE with the Peninsula engine. I had initial problems, but the company fixed most at their expense..Matt is an amazing source of information. I thought I would prefer another engine, but I have what I have, and have since learned that all engines have their issues. Being a sailor, not a mechanic, I am especially paranoid about problems but my Peninsular and I are friends now after about 1000 hours!! Peter
I love my 1998 Albin28..but I hate the Peninsula in it
spwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by spwhite »

I have a 1995 28TE on Lake Champlain in Vt., and have had no problems. The only upgrade I have done since I bought the boat in 2005 was to put a new starter in. This was on the recommendation of my mechanic and Peninsular to use less voltage starting the motor. There really wasn't anything wrong with the existing starter.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”