• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

oil cap rail?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

erice
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n. kingstown ri

oil cap rail?

Post by erice »

i plan on refinishing my teak trim (cap rails, small amounts of trim on the bridge, etc.), and a neighbor reccommended removing old finish with star 10, then oiling the teak. supposed to look great, has to be reoiled about twice per year. any experience with this?
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: oil cap rail?

Post by jleonard »

I used to use oil on the teak on my previous boat. I stopped because the oil is messy and traps mold in the teak. Then it has to be stripped (you can use cheap sudsy amonia from the grocery store for this) and re-oiled.
Don't get me wrong, nothing looks better (in my opinion) than freshly oiled teak, but it actually takes more maintenance I believe.
I have switched to Cetol, except for the decks that remain "silver" (and I may let more of the teak go silver).

But to each his/her own. It certainly won't hurt anything to try it that way for a year or two and see if it works for you.

As far as removing the current finish, my wife used a citrus stripper from Home Depot (no not one with an orange vest) and it did an excellent job and it did not damage any fiberglass, etc.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Re: oil cap rail?

Post by mike66 »

My 40 came with the rails coated in Cetol light w/gloss over that. Looks very nice and held up through this season well. Probably put another coat or two of gloss next year. Always been disappointed with oil, except on the interior.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler

Return to “Albin Maintenance”