• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fridges and helm chairs

Albin's "power cruisers"
tcft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Montreal

Fridges and helm chairs

Post by tcft »

Has anyone got any ideas for refridgeration on a 27' Family Cruiser and/or any ideas for helm seating. I seem to spend a small fortune on ice and our helm seating is two counter height chairs which aren't that comfortable.

Thank you

Tom T
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Re: Fridges and helm chairs

Post by hetek »

How about a fridge that doubles as a helm chair?

Seriously though, I too have the "counter height" helm/captain' chairs I believe you are referring to.

My thoughts:

Although I think they are comfortable enough, the problem I have with them is when the boat rolls the chairs sometimes want to fall over. I also have the original helm bench that mounts to the coaming but since it is fixed in place it gets in the way when I want to pilot the boat standing up. I'm thinking of looking into a slide track with a fore/aft adjustment like some newer boats have.

I just don't think pedestal type seats are best for this boat as they would have to be mounted to the engine hatch.

No fridge here - I use coolers. One for food and one for beverages. Sorry I can't help there.

- Jon B.
hetek
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

There are a number of 12v, portable coolers out there. I've thought about getting one to keep in the cockpit, it would be easy to wire up a 12v outlet for it. Search the site, I'm pretty sure someone here has one.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Actually that is a great idea. Let's build one
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

jleonard wrote:
Actually that is a great idea. Let's build one
And, of course, it must be capable of being powered via AC or DC this way when the boats on the hard it can be used in the family room. Wouldn't want to have to keep it plugged into my jump-pump in the house, that would be unsightly :wink:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I have to correct a comment I made in my last post.

I went down to my boat last night with a tape measure and evidently a pedestal type seat will fit and not mount on the hatch like I had stated earlier. It would mount on the deck next to the hatch. Looks like there is just enough room.

That opens up a whole bunch of possibilities for seats - from inexpensive at around $250 to very expensive. I find with seating that the quality goes up with the price.

A couple things though:

I would opt for a seat slider for the ability to slide it back if I wanted to pilot the yacht while standing. (Say, what about those with the flip up bottoms that convert to a "leaning post"?).

I would also brace the pedestal top to the side coaming for extra support. They can get pretty wobbly at the taller heights like the Albin requires.

Lastly, I would buy one of those foot rests that slide over the pedestal. I find the Albin one lacking - It's more of a toe rest for me.

Re: Fridges:

Again, I don't use the small box Albin put in the countertop, although others do. As DougSea mentioned, there are portable fridges that resemble coolers. I have seen an A27 with an extended counter top and a fridge mounted below the extension. It does take away from the berth and seating space there, though. Besides - I wouldn't want a fridge humming away next to my head all night long.

And, yes, a pilot seat/fridge combo is possible. You just have to engineer it and build it! :)

- Jon B.
hetek
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

How many nights do you typically spend on the boat? 1 night, 2? Back when we had a 27, even the 32 with refridgeration, we used coolers which would last 48 hours no real problem.

The trick was to used the double insulated coolers, white ones work better, don't use ice cubes or crushed ice, use homemade block ice in things like milk containers & consolodate coolers as you eat/drink away the weekend.

3 44qt coolers would work for 4 people on a 2 night weekend.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
stardust-v42
First Mate
First Mate

Post by stardust-v42 »

We have a A27 SC with pedestal seats. They work just great and they mount on the deck just next to the engine access hatches. They are Springfield pedestals, seats and foot rests. Initially, the former owner of this boat had installed "removable" pedestals, but they had "movement" at the base because it was just a rubber bushing fit. I replaced them with "fixed" pedestals which work better. They have very substantial backing plats (aluminium). These seats have the teak ladderbacks and look very sharp.

John McCahan
BLUE MOON
Boyne City, Mi
1987 Albin 27 SC

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”