• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

fuel additives

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

fuel additives

Post by jprohan »

Re: fuel additives; I know Joe Demers, the diesel expert, recommends stanadyne, and another product I can't recall, to be added to diesel. A marina near me has diesel with the valvetech stuff added and claims it is the only additive necessary. Any comments or opinions would be welcome.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: fuel additives

Post by jleonard »

Valvetech is one of the best one for gas. Based on that I would "assume" it would be good for diesel also.
But I guess I would first ask..."why are you adding anything and what do you expect the additive to do?
Add lubricity? Add cetane rating? Kill bugs? Emulsify water? Make coffee?

I only add 2 cycle engine oil based on the lubricity additive study I read that is now posted in the library.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

Post by jprohan »

in general, additives for all the above. In FL, I had to add a biocide to keep algae from growing; after a painful and costly dockside fuel "polishing." Not sure EXACTLY what valve tech is all about. Was hoping for someone with more knowlege than I to expound on the valvetech claim.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

ValvTect makes additives for gasoline and diesel. I added it for years before our marina got ValvTect treated fuel. Now no more mess and measuring the amount for odd numbers of gallons. I think it will do everything you want. Here is a link to their web page for marine diesel additive: http://www.valvtect.com/marineFuelDiesel.asp
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Albin Maintenance”