• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

2007 28TE Bubble Under Anti Fouling

Poccolocco
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Melbourne, Australia

2007 28TE Bubble Under Anti Fouling

Post by Poccolocco »

Hi from Australia.

We just took delivery of our Albin 28 TE 2007 model into Australia. We are extremely happy with the vessel and know she is just what we need down here on Bass Strait, the body of water between mainland Australia and Tasmania.

She is great condition, But......

When we received the boat it seemed like there was a lack of finish on the bottom, a lack of gel coat and it was quite rough. So we had the bottom bead blasted with the intention to sand, epoxy fill and epoxy prime. I understand the boat was sitting for a while in Miami.

We noticed a lot of blisters on the bottom and when punctured smelly water comes out.

Are the Albin laid in polyester or epoxy?

Has anyone seen this before? and if so what was your coarse of action?

We find it hard to believe it is the beginning of osmosis, as this was eradicated with tuberculosis.

Look forward to your response.

Regards

Hayden
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Home, Treasure Island, Florida

Re: 2007 28TE Bubble Under Anti Fouling

Post by Chuck Waygood »

I had the same problem on a 1998 Offshore yacht fish made in Taiwan - definitely osmosis blisters. Two choices of solution: if it is not widespread, grind down the blisters to solid surface, fill with epoxy (possibly resin and glss over) and epoxy undercoat before bottom paint. If extensive blistering, you should have the bottom "peeled", a layer or more of glass off, dry it out (I took two months , flooding with fresh water every few days), and reglass with the newer Resin that is blister resistant. The rotten smell you get when puncturing the blisters is the product of the old resin and moisture. A big job but worth it for a good boat. Good luck.
Poccolocco
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Poccolocco »

Thanks Chuck, I guess I don't want to believe it is osmosis. We believed Albin to be well built. We have begun grinding and will wash with fresh water and then fill. We will then epoxy prime and then anti foul.

Best regards

Hayden
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

Albin used vinylester resin which is supposed to be resistant to water intrusion and hence blisters. I think you'll find most of the boats represented on this board do not have blistering problems.

Sounds like you might have just been unlucky.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Poccolocco
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Poccolocco »

Thanks, we'll just soldier on and keep grinding.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”