• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Galley table leg

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

chivywieland
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Piney Narrows, Kent Island Md

Galley table leg

Post by chivywieland »

The shaft for galley table does not retract in order to make into bunk. Where can I get a shaft that would lower to 13.2-13.75 inches so table top will be level with seats to make into a bunk?
This would have to fit for a 2004, 31ft TE.
Thanks
Chivy Wieland
chivyw@aol.com
Chivy and Sandy Wieland
bknopf@iop
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Isle of Palms, SC

Re: Galley table leg

Post by bknopf@iop »

Hi Chivy,
I just bought a 28TE and had the same problem with the table. I sprayed everything good with WD-40, then had to stand on the table to get enough weight on it to loosen it up. It finally retracted and works OK now. The only problem I have is getting the locking knob tight enough to keep it down (there is a gas cylinder in it to lift it). I found a small filter wrench worked on it to get enough leverage to tighten it.
Hope this helps.

Bill
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey Bill! Good to see you here!

(No, I haven't forgotten you - just ended up traveling a bit more, need to find a box for the stuff I nead to send you, will try to get it out this week)

On the table - it's a strange setup where the set screw pushes against a small aluminum square to put pressure on the shaft. Most likely when you raised the table you backed it off too much and it bound up. When you're moving the table back off the screw just enough to let it move and you should be ok. (Kathy still has a laugh when she pictures me trying to get the table back down on our maiden voyage. I ended up unbolting the whole thing and pulling the post out for the remainder of the trip!)

Hope all's going well and you guys had a great trip!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
bknopf@iop
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Isle of Palms, SC

Post by bknopf@iop »

Doug,
Thanks for the binder comment (I just emailed you about it before I saw this).

The table was originally stuck in the up position, but after playing with the knob, and putting all my weight on the table, it finally went down. I have to use the wrench to keep it down though!

Here's a picture of the boat in it's new home!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

bknopf@iop wrote:Doug,
Thanks for the binder comment (I just emailed you about it before I saw this).

The table was originally stuck in the up position, but after playing with the knob, and putting all my weight on the table, it finally went down. I have to use the wrench to keep it down though!

Here's a picture of the boat in it's new home!
Thanks for the picture! She looks good! :)

It sounds to me like the knob is not aligned with the pressure pad. The knob, which is threaded, screws in and puts pressure on a small (1x1") square of aluminum, which sits in a cutout in the outer (bottom) tube and presses on the inner (upper) tube. If you loosen the screw too much the square piece gets jammed up. Easiest fix is to remove the base from the boat (6 screws I think), flip it upside down and you should be able to see the pieces. Get them realigned, screw the knob in until it tightens, and you're good to go. In use I never turned the knob much more than 1/2 a turn and it didn't need any further attention.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Get Aweigh

Post by Get Aweigh »

Be careful with that aluminum collar that the adjusting screw is threaded into. That collar is made of soft aluminum and the threads will strip out if too much force is used to tighten the adjusting screw. My collar eventually stripped out. There is a pop rivet on the opposite side of the adjusting screw that secures the collar to the mounting base tube. I used a small drill to drill out the pop rivet which allows the collar to be removed. I had a machine shop repair weld the threaded hole and re-tap new threads. Cost - $38, not too bad. Re-installed with a new pop rivet, works great.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”