• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 27 w/78 hp Nissan

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

96flht
Mate
Mate
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Albin 27 w/78 hp Nissan

Post by 96flht »

I am hoping that someone out there has a quick easy answer to get my engine going prior to getting into major maintenance. The other day I was cruising at about 1600 rpm, with the engine running smooth and quiet. Without warning the engine stopped. I checked the prop for a foul but it was clear. When I tried to start the engine the positive battery terminal sparked a little but the motor did not turn over. I'm no mechanic but I thought once a diesel was running, an electrical problem would not shut it down. The battery seems a little low and the spotlight is dim but will this cause the motor to stop? The oil sump level is normal but I have a bad feeling the motor is somehow mechanically locked. Hopefully someone can tell me about a 'secret kill switch' or low voltage shutdown and this will be an easy fix. Trying to stay optomistic so any help would be appreciated.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Albin 27 w/78 hp Nissan

Post by Carl »

I would start by removing the battery terminals and clean them, replace and tighten. You should never have any sparks at the battery terms.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

My 78hp Nissan has an electric lift pump (the pump that supplies fuel to the fuel injection pump). If it looses power it will indeed kill the engine. As the previous poster noted no sparks should ever come from the battery, I say this again because electrical arching (sparks) at the battery could cause a explosion and fire. I you have a volt meter check battery voltage after fixing the bad connection. normal battery voltage at rest should be about 12.6v during cranking it should not drop below about 9.6v. When the engine is running it should climb to about 14v. if after checking this stuff out if it still wont spin over or start up. I can walk you through checking out the starter. I was a mechanic at a Nissan Dealer in the early 90s when we still had Maximas with this engine coming in. I have had mine for a year and a half and am pretty familiar with them. Joe
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
96flht
Mate
Mate
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by 96flht »

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunatly I live 130 miles from the boat and haven't had a chance to get back down there. Next week I will take the trip and figure things out.
Roy
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Hampton NH

Post by Roy »

Having owned an Albin with the Nissan since 1988, this only happened once to me. This sounds like a fuel problem and is either a filter problem (replace) or a fuel distribution problem (Injection Pump).

Start with the fuel filter. It's the easiest and cheapest fix. The injection pump can be rebuilt but must be done by a professional and is not cheap.

Roy
Whitecaps 85 A27AC Nissan

Return to “Albin Maintenance”