• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Galvanic Isolator Albin 28TE

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Galvanic Isolator Albin 28TE

Post by Froggy »

Hi All,

I recently purchased a galvanic isolator for my '93 Albin 28 TE. Now that I have it, I'm trying to figure out how to install it. My understanding is that it installs in the incoming ground wire from the shore power. The issue I have is where to put it. The 120 V power cable (runs from shore power plug in port side stern of boat to a watertight plug on the bulkhead separating the engine compartment from the living compartment is pretty much just regular household wiring with black, red and neutral copper (ground). There's no "wall space" there as the charger, batteries, cable connections all take that limited space.

For those of you who have installed these, where did you locate them?

Thanks.

Carl
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Galvanic Isolator Albin 28TE

Post by DougSea »

Which isolator did you purchase? How big is it? I would think you could run new wire to from the inlet to the isolator on the transom and then connect the feed that runs forward.

You should NOT have regular household wire on a boat. However, marine AC wire can look a lot like the romex you're probably familiar with. The jacket is of a heavier grade and the wire is stranded instead of solid. If yours IS household wire you really should replace it while you're doing this project.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

Thanks Doug,

I'll have to take a look. It does LOOK like Romex but perhaps is not. The trick will be getting it close to the inlet plug as there is no easy access to that area. The isolator is a Prosafe F30 Galvanic Isolator 22034.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Mine is installed on the port side above the bunk. If you remove the ceiling panel you will find the shore power wire running along the hull.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Froggy wrote:Thanks Doug,

I'll have to take a look. It does LOOK like Romex but perhaps is not. The trick will be getting it close to the inlet plug as there is no easy access to that area. The isolator is a Prosafe F30 Galvanic Isolator 22034.
I installed a Ant/Cable inlet right next to the power on Sonny III, it wasn't too bad to deal with. You would just unscrew your inlet and pull it out a bit to get to the wires. (I'm assuming yours in in the same place, tucked up under the aft, port gunnel) I did take out the in deck box, lay down facing up, and was able to reach most everything. Should add - I had a buddy on board in case I got stuck!! :shock:

Russ also brings up a good point, there's a fair amount of space in the overhead above the bunk headliner and your wire is probably in the same place as his.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
dvlyon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rock Hall, MD

Post by dvlyon »

On my '93 it is located behind the AC distribution panel in the cabin. You may want to check and see if you already have one installed.
"Lyon's Pride"
2001 31 TE with Twin Yanmar 315's
Rock Hall, MD
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Just installing the same on FP2 as the Zincs took a good hit this year. I am installing the the Sterling Power Pro Save A 16 amp (figured my shore supply is 16 amp and plugs are so will never use more than that).

One question i have is the earth on the AC bonded to the boats bonding system already or will a new cable need to be installed?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”