• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Here's Ric

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here's Ric

Post by RicM »

RicM wrote:
Well, a couple of fertile imaginations here, and neither very complimentary. I'm either trapped in a pile of shit or in rehab? Please, gentlemen, let those without sin cast the first stone.
In response to the "Where's Ric" topic that John unnecessarily removed....

OK, Ok, I'm still alive, still drinking (although considerably less), and still devoted to my many Albineer friends and tormentors. I simply assume that you get sick of me after one of the extended travelogues or diatribes. Because you are so concerned, in your own twisted way, I will bring you up to date on the minutia of my life and nautical adventures.

As for the rumor that I was in the Betty Ford, I have actually slowed down my liquid social life as I have had the distinctly unpleasant experience of watching 2 men my age, very successful materially, literally go down the crapper in the last year with a bottle in each hand. One is a dear friend (and I still have hope for him), the other is a business associate whos' business, family, and health have all collapsed, like, to the point he needs a liver transplant and they won't give it to him until he stops drinking and he can't. The Great Recession has played a role in both these stories, as they both sold very expensive luxury items that nobody REALLY needs, and saw their businesses contract by several orders of magnitude in '07. It's interesting how the shit storm has uncovered a lot of rot in the system, I'm thinking Maddoff and a lot of the mega financial stuff that collapsed as well as the effect on individual's lives. I know plenty of folks that have had their lives disrupted by the whole thing, but have dusted themselves off and carried on. Then there's the others who seemed to fly so high in the boom years that cannot deal with the new reality and are basically trying to stay drunk until happy days are here again. The problem is that that's not a high percentage gamble when you are approaching 60, happy days could still be few years away, if they ever return to '05 levels of madness, and you've got about 18 months left in your liver.

For me however, things are good. I refuse to believe that the world in general and the US specifically is going down the toilet (an attempt to tie into the second theme of "Where's Ric"). Without provoking a political discussion here (I will discuss philosophy, but not politics, and there is a difference), everything "bad" seems to have a corresponding "good" component as well. Price of diesel for instance. $5 diesel hurts at the pump, but it is keeping the price of Albins up (Cousin Ron just tried to buy a 31TE and got outbid), whereas big twin engine sportfisherman are going for very short money. I'm still looking for a FL liveaboard.

Went fishing on Sat and caught nothing so all's right in the eco-system, climate change has not effected my catch ratio, so I guess there's no complaining about that. I bought me a dingy over the winter so no RI clam will be safe from Miss K and her rake. Next weekend is supposed to be warm & sunny. Fear not.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Here's Ric

Post by DougSea »

Damn! I was hoping for something juicy! ;-)

But seriously, as one who HAS dropped off the board in the past for some fairly serious reasons, I'm glad it was just a brief hiatus and I look forward to additional septic tales!

(Sorry about the fish - I keep hoping they'll just start jumping into the boat...)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

We love you Ric!
God grant you the serenity for the things you can not change, the courage to change the things you can, and the wisdom to know the difference! We love your stories Zinbaad
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

God grant you the serenity for the things you can not change, ...
God has not been granting a lot of wishes these days, but seems to be extracting a reasonable price for lessons learned. I'll settle for that. :wink: Thanks for the support guys.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote:God has not been granting a lot of wishes these days....
And neither has mother nature. I thought it was April showers and May flowers not April & May showers :(

Still running on 2010 fuel, should be fine to make it out to Montauk Memorial Day weekend and then fuel up out there where the prices are better. Yes, prices of Albins are up compared to other (especially gas powered) boats but from what I am seeing there are still some good Albin deals to be had. Sure would be fun to be in the buying market with nothing having to be sold.
RicM wrote:..my many Albineer friends and tormentors.
I'm proud to wear both of those hats :wink:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

RicM wrote:
Well, a couple of fertile imaginations here, and neither very complimentary. I'm either trapped in a pile of shit or in rehab? Please, gentlemen, let those without sin cast the first stone.
Guilty as charged 8) No stones coming from this way.

And don't feel alone with the no fish scenario either. Nothing on board here either. Give me a shout on the radio if you're out Saturday (weather pending).

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Heard there were pogies snagged over last weekend. The fish should be in this weekend! What Ch do you monitor?
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

I'm usually on 65 but monitor 16 all the time.

I heard that the pogie boats have been prohibited from the Taunton River this year and that they severely limited their taking of the entire school. No more spotter planes either. That should really make things interesting this spring.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

The pogie boat boys are mad. No free pogies anymore.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Post by Legacy »

Boston Update: Unless asked, I keep my politics fairly close the the vest. (but feel free to ask, us marketing guys have opinions on everything!) Lucky for me the drinking is simply social, but in my mid 40s working out harder and eating less is a must! Fishing is picking up in Boston, and the weather might turn too. I try to sneak out 2-3 mornings a week. Mostly bass, tautog and flounder with some cod mixed in. Haddock is you want to burn a ton of fuel. BTW - - diesel is down to $4.01 and may go 10-20% lower in coming weeks. My office, although smaller since giving up one floor last year due to the economy, is still across from the marina. On a very positive note, business is steadily picking up and even in unexpected geographies (London and Providence). A small barge & crane sank at the marina this morning, fuel spill wasn't awful and Cyn Environmental and SeaTow were all over it very quickly. Someone tied the barge to a pier at high tide with no slack in the lines. With an 11 foot tide swing today, you just have to say Doh! A lot of newer, larger boats at the marina, hope that's a sign of confidence rather than taking advantage of those having to dump boats on the market. The charter guys are saying their bookings are way up from last two years, so keep fingers crossed, we'll all have a good summer. Anyone venturing to Boston give "Legacy" a shout on 69.
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
Fogg~Dogg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fogg~Dogg »

No matter how crappy the economy is for those of us who have worked their asses off for years and now find ourselves a little grey, a little sore, but smart as all hell...NOTHING keps me going more then the times when I round the Coast Guard Station in the Piscataque River and look out to see the Isles of Shoals still there - still beautiful. My Albin 28 keeps me sane, interested in new things, and blissfully content when the XXXXXXX-sun shines!!!

Hang in there, eat different foods, look now and then at different women, fire up the Albin and think just how freaking invigorating the sound of water rushing by your starboard window is, how mezmerizing the sometimes clear water is, and how much you're really like to own a topless coffee shop along the Maine coast!!!

For me, I plan to keep coming down for breakfast no matter what the a-holes in Washington do to screw up this great country.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Fogg~Dogg wrote: a topless coffee shop along the Maine coast!!!
I'll take two large, dark, with whip cream on top, but not to sweet :wink:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

X2
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Got out Saturday morning under heavy skies but reasonable temps and almost dead calm. Took me almost 3 hours to find the fish, but there were plenty of them once I did. Got a nice 12# striped bass for last nights' dinner with Sawzall Dave & Ramie, and the the Mad Marcotte's, Dave & Joanne. The 6 of us are planning a Caribbean cruise next March, 40' cat out of either Abaco or St Martin to coincide with a fairly large birthday of mine. Looks like it's going to happen. I'm taking sailing lessons this summer to get ready.

Boat's running great, came back yesterday with that fish in the box, Narragansett Bay flat as a bathtub, opened it up to 3400RPM and hit 22.6 KTS. Agreeing with you all that life is pretty good. Now if I could just get my Sirius weather service to activate I'd be a happy boy. What a PITA those people are!
Ric Murray

Wickford RI

Return to “General Discussion”