• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Generator - 35TE

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

New Generator - 35TE

Post by DougSea »

So the generator install for Sonny IV is moving along, thought I'd post some early pictures and comments. If you read some of my earlier posts about the boat Sonny IV is a 2006 35TE. She's got just about everything you could want except for power to run some of the toys and systems (like A/C!) when on the hook. As part of the purchase we funded a new diesel generator in the 6-8kW range.

We discussed the install at length with Carver Boat Sales, the yard in NJ where she's sitting and settled on a Kohler 6.5kW QD (quiet diesel) model. Carver had good experience with this brand and model and attested to it's quality and quietness. And, since I'm an electronics nut, I was pleased that it will interface with a future NMEA 2000 infrastructure.

Albin nicely made a spot for the generator to sit under the cockpit deck and Carver, using the magic wand that all marine installers have, got the unit through the deck hatch and mounted.

Since regulars at AOG know I love pictures - here are some photos of the install to date:

Here's the view into the aft deck hatch prior to the install. Top of photo is aft. To port you can see the already plumbed (from the factory) raw water inlet that will be used for the generator.
01a - Aft Hatch.JPG
Here's the platform, also installed at the factory. I've asked the installer to cheat to genset to port to help offset a slight list at rest. Won't make much of a difference but every little bit helps!
01b - Platform.JPG
Install underway. Here's the cockpit, closed up but with the ladder to the bridge removed
01c - The Cockpit.JPG
And here we are all opened up. The "hatch" over the fuel tank is like the one on the engine box 28's, all nicely caulked in place. The yard removed the caulk and opened her up. At this point they were ready to reseal it but left it for me to take a look at the tanks and shutoffs before closing it up.
02 - Cockpit Open.JPG
Top of the fuel tanks. She has three tanks of approx. equal size. All feeds draw off of the center tank and they are connected together at the bottom.
03 - Fuel Tank.JPG
A closer view of the fittings. Not really needed for the conversation but I figured other 35 owners might want to know what's there!
04 - Tank Fittings.JPG
Label - again, just because.
05 - Tank Label.JPG
The sender. Never heard of "Wema" before.
06 - Tank Sender.JPG
And here's the generator, as seen from the forward hatch.
07 - Generator FWD Side.JPG
And from the aft hatch. One feature we liked about this unit is all normal maintenance is done through this one cover.
08 - Generator AFT Side.JPG
Here's the muffler and the platform the yard fabricated.
09 - Muffler and Platform.JPG
You can see here the chase (conduit) the yard installed for the wiring. It runs through this bulkhead, under the fuel tanks, the water tanks, and the port engine and exits just below the bulkhead where the pannel is installed. Really happy with this work.
10 - Wire Chase AFT end.JPG
Exhaust plumbing.
11 - Exhaust Plumbing.JPG
And the info plate for those so inclined. It has a "push through" port for a fire extinguisher.
12 - Generator Info Plate.JPG
Here's the salon control head location. There's a "Y" fitting waiting to be installed so I can have a secondary control up on the bridge. Why? Because!
13 - Control Head Location.JPG
A close up of the control head. They make a 3.5" version as well.
14 - Control Head.JPG
And finally, the stern, with the new exhaust outlet.
15 - Stern.JPG
Closer view of the exhaust.
16 - Exhaust Outlet.JPG
So there you have it. This was two weekends ago so I believe they've buttoned everything up. I managed to NOT get a picture of the forward end of the chase and the wiring and I didn't feel like climbing up to the bridge without a ladder so that will have to wait for an update.

As always, any questions...just fire away!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: New Generator - 35TE

Post by jcollins »

Doug,
Great pictures and narrative. Thanks for posting.

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Nice job...and the "just becauses" are a nice touch for others to see appreciate!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
skye peak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skye peak »

thanks for the pics, I really learned what my center tank looks like!!!

my 1999 35te single has a 8kw Westerbeke to port, aft of the port fuel tank, leaving
the centerline space open for egress and storage. If you are a single how will you get
to the stuffing box?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

tbnolin wrote:Nice job...and the "just becauses" are a nice touch for others to see appreciate!
Thank you Sir! :)

I know I've gotten so many good ideas in the past from pictures of other's boats, even when different models, and I hope folks find these picture-fests of mine useful. And sometimes, when putting these posts together, I find myself stimulating new thoughts on how things work on MY boats! It's a win-win!! 8)
Doug
Sonny IV
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

skye peak wrote:thanks for the pics, I really learned what my center tank looks like!!!

my 1999 35te single has a 8kw Westerbeke to port, aft of the port fuel tank, leaving
the centerline space open for egress and storage. If you are a single how will you get
to the stuffing box?
Glad the tank photos helped!

I have twins ("Twins Basil, twins!") and both stuffing boxes are accessible from the engine room, in front of the water tank.
Doug
Sonny IV

Return to “Albin Maintenance”