• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Ground effect pressure wave

Bidgood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pelican Isle, Florida

Ground effect pressure wave

Post by Bidgood »

Today an interesting thing happend while cruising. We were running our Albin 30 FC in a well marked channel in Estero bay. (SW Florida where the water is still liquid and the air is 80 deg F.) The channel depth is very consistant at around 4.5 ft. I turned around a mark at cruising speed (18 mph) and found that I had little rudder control. The boat seemed to want to track straight and true despite the helm being turned hard starboard. I completed the turn and noticed that at the same time the depth finder blinked off and then reported that there was 22 ft of water. I slowed down to idle speed and watched as the depth finder wound down to the correct 4.5 ft. Since I knew the waters I tried successfuly to repeat the event.

I am suspecting that in the relatively shallow water the pressure wave between the boat and the bottom was the culprit. Any one have any thoughts on the matter?
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Albin 30 FC
Hull # "0"
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Re: Ground effect pressure wave

Post by joe.baar »

Here's a set of photos taken in the Larkspur Channel leading to San Francisco Bay next to San Quentin. The vessel is a 200-foot high-speed catamaran with twin waterjet propulsion. You'll see how the vessel drags a lot of water as it accelerates down the channel, and the wave effects in the shallower parts, almost right alongside, are spectacular. Steering under these conditions is very difficult as you noted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”