• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

teak & holly sole

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

erice
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n. kingstown ri

teak & holly sole

Post by erice »

has anyone installed teak & holly soles? if so, is it the plywood laminate? actual teak & holly planks? synthetic roll stuff? i'd be interested to know about the plywood stuff, how it looks, ease of installation, maintenance, etc. also, where was it purchased and how much per sheet, if you don't mind. thanks, erice
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: teak & holly sole

Post by Cape Codder »

erice,
Last year I had a teak & holly sole installed in my 2003 28TE. We just love it!
NO MORE CARPET!! I looks awesome, and is non-skid even with wet feet. Very easy to care for: just sweep, wipe with towel or dustbuster. Really, maintenance free. If memory serves me, the installed quote was $650.

I found this laminated product thru "teakworks by magogo" http://www.teakworksbymagogo.com

Bob, the owner of teakworks, (Kingston, MA) claimed to have done all of Albin's work out of RI for years, but I could never validate his claim, since there was no longer an "Albin" to confirm with. He used this laminate glued to marine plywood, and had the templates for cutting. He did a pretty good job cutting around the hatch in the cabin, and the insert is barely noticeable. But here is where I was shocked about his work: He installed the floor with round-headed stainless steel screws!!! Are you kidding?? Big shiny round-headed screws sticking out thru the floor!!!
I had to un-screw, and glue the floor down, and fill all the holes myself. Now it looks great.

I had put 50% down on the project, and when I saw the "finished" project, REFUSED to pay him his remainder, something I would rarely do with a contractor.
But the screws were unacceptable.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Daryl
Mate
Mate

Post by Daryl »

I have teak and holly plywood flooring in the aft cabin of my A33. It is wood veneer and not plastic laminate. The product is sold in various thickness from 1/4" to 3/4". Has not needed to be refinished in the last seven years.
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Post by Legacy »

Sorry an earlier poster had problems. I had an excellent experience with Bob at Teakworks by Magogo. When I bought my 35te it had a carpet floor. I pulled it up to uncover bare fiberglass. Teakworks roughed the surface and laid down individual strips of a an Amtico product. Looks great, minimal maintenance and boaters can't believe it's not real wood. No screws, good cuts around hatches, etc. Happy to post photos if needed. Good luck.
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
pcthornton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pcthornton »

The teak and holly makes the Albin 28 look like a million bucks! Standish Boat Yard in Tiverton, RI installed mine when I bought my Albin from them in 2008. It makes for a real pretty cabin. They have the pattern for it. Mine is the laminate but it looks like the real stuff.
ColinT
"Patriot"
2002 28TE
Barrington, RI

Return to “Albin Maintenance”