• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Who has the 28 TE liveaboard record?

myalexander
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, Fl.

Who has the 28 TE liveaboard record?

Post by myalexander »

Hi, My wife and I are selling our home and moving a little further south. The other evening she asked me if I thought we could live on a 28TE during the time in between houses, for up to 6 months if necessary. We are experienced cruisers and live aboards (11 yrs) so we know what's entailed but this is a whole lot smaller boat. Who has spent the most time living on one of these without the murder or suicide of a crew member. We think it's very doable as long as the cockpit is enclosed as the living room and we have a good A/C unit. Thanks, Bob (M/Y Alexander).
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Who has the 28 TE liveaboard record?

Post by Carl »

We love our 28, but that would be more like living in the suitcase rather than out of it. 6 weeks maybe, 6 months would be tough. 5 days is my record, and only 3 of those with the wife and dog on board. Lots and lots of 2 and 3 day weekends. A lot would have to do with the amenities at the marina where this might happen. I would have to have an "escape plan" in place if it got to be too much.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

When I was looking for my 28 TE there was one for sale that a guy was living on more or less full time. He was a lineman, and spent a lot of time in hotels and traveling, but the boat was his primary domicile. He also had quite a collection of Jack Daniels bottles in the transom fish box :lol:

We (wife & I) have done 10 days with no complaints. Last season I took my 28 south on a truck and parked it near Stuart FL and went down for 1 week/10 days a month and lived aboard. Look for a place with all the amenities. We scoped out a place in Stuart called "The Harborage". Full service marina that was attached to a condo complex. Marina renters had full use of the condo ameneties. Swimming pool, captains lounge, 2 restaurants, health club, showers, steam room, etc etc. They were getting $12/ft/mo last year ($336/mo for an Albin 28).
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

We get cabin fever in our 32 after only a week. The 32 has way more room than a 28. The longer that you are onboard the closer the pointy end gets to the blunt end especially on a boat. It is not like you can get off, go for a walk or just sit outside for awhile & not be onboard.

We are setting off in April on a 130 day trip to Alaska in our 34' 5th wheel trailer. We have the living space of a low 40s trawler but even with that & the moving every few days it gets smallish after awhile.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I've done 11 consecutive days with my wife and 2 young daughters and we were not ready to go home. However, we were in "vacation mode" and had a very comfortable home waiting for our return.

The amenities of the marina and ease of access to "things other than the boat" are key. Think of the cabin on the 28 as your bedroom, not your home...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
tincupchalice
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by tincupchalice »

Here is an article about a couple that spent 99 days on one in 2001 going up to alaska and back

http://www.albinmarine.com/Press/West%2 ... monial.htm.

Sounds like fun.

First I need a boat
Butch
In Memorium
Home Port: St Michaels,Md.

Post by Butch »

I am w/ Carl. I think we did 7 days w/ 5 of the 7 in a hotel. 6 months are doable if you dock near hotels!! P.S. Jack the Dog gets antsy and so do we. Now Dick , the Emeritus Albin Owner) has the boat to live on, The BIG RED TUG!
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by kathylsails »

Our boat is basically a 28 with an aft cabin. Even with the extra cabin, after 4 solid days of rain in Ocracoke, we felt closed in and miserable. Had the weather been better, we would have stayed for the whole week and been quite comfy. But, we were at a dock with amenities. Like the others said, it's like living out of a suitcase or bedroom and much depends upon what's available nearby.
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Remove all sharp objects from the boat and give it a try. Lets us know how you do.
If we read about a murder/suicide in a Florida marina we'll know :lol:

Seriously, a friend of mine and his wife lived aboard an old 34 Mainship summer and winter in Rhode Island for 4 years, so living in a small boat in Fl should be easy by comparison.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
LarryOwen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Barber's Basin, Salem, NJ

Post by LarryOwen »

Since retirement in 1996 my wife and I have made trips of the Chesapeake Bay from North to South & back each summer, first in our '95 28TE and subsequently in our '02 28TE . We started at 1-2 weeks and anchored out about half the time and have progressed to trips of 5 to 7 weeks duration during the summer plus a fall trip of about 2 weeks. We now always stay at marinas. Our mantra is "breakfast on the boat and find a crabhouse". I will be 80 in April and am looking forward to the upcoming season.
Larry - 28TE "Pastime No. 2"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

LarryOwen wrote:...I will be 80 in April and am looking forward to the upcoming season.
Way to go Capt. !
I just turned the big "4" "0" this Fall. Now where do I sign for 40 more just the same...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”