• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

ANYONE TOWED THE 31TE?

whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

ANYONE TOWED THE 31TE?

Post by whwells »

For starters the 31te has the oversize beam/ and may weigh to to 14,000 pounds. It is not likely feasible for towing around like the 28te. However, it is nice to be able to get it out of the water for storage & bottom work on your own trailer or for movement short distances with help. If there are members out there with experience or advise it would appreciated. I have not yet located an afforable 31 so answers to this question will help. HAVE YOU TOWED THIS UNIT? IF SO WHAT TRAILER WORKS WITH THE UNIT? Are there any special issues I should consider or watch for on a used 31te purchase, if that opportunity comes up?
Thank you for your thoughts. whwells
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: ANYONE TOWED THE 31TE?

Post by Cape Codder »

I wouldn't tow a 28TE, nevermind a 31.
The boat hauling service I use on Cape Cod (Bill Newton & Son) does a fantastic job of picking it up in my yard and dropping her in, and then hauling out in the fall and setting on blocks and stands in my driveway.
I ride in the boat when it's being hauled....no way would I want to do it anymore than necessary.
With trailer, your over 10,000 pounds. You need a beast to haul it.

Takes the enjoyment away in my humble opinion.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

whwells wrote:For starters the 31te has the oversize beam/ and may weigh to to 14,000 pounds. It is not likely feasible for towing around like the 28te. However, it is nice to be able to get it out of the water for storage & bottom work on your own trailer or for movement short distances with help. If there are members out there with experience or advise it would appreciated. I have not yet located an afforable 31 so answers to this question will help. HAVE YOU TOWED THIS UNIT? IF SO WHAT TRAILER WORKS WITH THE UNIT? Are there any special issues I should consider or watch for on a used 31te purchase, if that opportunity comes up?
Thank you for your thoughts. whwells
You're getting into pretty specialized territory when towing a 12' 4" wide, 14,000lb + boat. Since the 31 comes in both singles and twins you'd need to factor in the additional draft of the single if you go that route. You may want to talk to a hauler. the arch would have to come off if going any real distance. I'm not sure this is economically the best path to go down...

If you have non trailering questions about used 31s you may want to make a separate post for that.

Best of luck in your search!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Doug: Yours is the second response that raises serious questions about towing the 31? The major problem in rural northern Calif. and southern Oregon is we have no commercial haulers - maybe from Portland, Or.
So that gets very expensive. While I want a bit more space than the 28te serious questions of care, maintaince and storage or now concernng me. Thank you for the helpful advise. There are commercials that will move the boat from the lift yards, but only on your trailer.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Try posting the question on TheHullTruth.com, you'll be talking to a much broader audience than here on AOG. Now that I understand you situation better it's more of a transport question. I'd be asking if there's anyone who tows a big inboard rig that doesn't necessarily have to be launched from the trailer.

Give some background to your question and you'll avoid a lot of "You're crazy!" responses! :)

You may also want to contact a few trailer manufacturers.
Doug
Sonny IV
sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Post by sharffj »

Had a 31 twin hauled from San Diego to Portland. Before we put it on the truck weighed it at the yard and was about 18000 lbs. Also had to take the radar arch down to to get it low enough for highway clearance. With that said there is someone who lives outside Salem Oregon who has a 31 single with a Cummins who transports the boat up to Olympia in the Spring, uses it in the San Juans, then has it brought down to Ilwaco for August and Sept and then hauls it out in the fall and stores it in a barn in the Salem area for the winter. I'm not sure of his name, but the boat is a 31' single screw TE named something like the Strawberry something. They will know the boat at Schooner Creek Boat Works in Portland, Or as they just finished working on the keel. Call Schooner Creek and I'm sure they'll give you contact info.
Jeff S
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

I would think that the 31 TE fully loaded with or with out twins would require a beast of a truck to haul it. Not a vessel I would be comfortable hauling down a road, never mind a highway haul, With its wide beam, additional height, weight & special road permits required would be a hastle. I do not think any standard trailer would be available with the 31's deep keel. I think i I saw a custom three axel trailer somewhere online.
I was thinking the same thing, hauling to my driveway for security & convenience to work on but the 31 is a bit large to fit
Good luck on your search.. Get a 31 & you will love it
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Thanks for the replys. Sounds like trailering is a bad idea with this big boat. whwells
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Folks I have not yet given up on the trailer idea. However, all your advise puts the matter in prospecive - no signifcant towing likely. However, being able to pull it out for repairs/ & times away from the water would be nice. So if anyone learns of a suitable trailer please do let me know. I plan to call a few trailer manufactures to discuss. If I get anythng worthwhile will pass it along to the membership. Does anyone know if it will be signficantly easier with the twin engines and less keel? I have not seen either boat out of the water/ so the keel difference is unclear to me.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

It's a much smaller boat BUT...

I found a current listing for a 28TE on a trailer. There are a lot of pics of the boat on the trailer so you may want to go download them, give you some ideas as to what it would take.

http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Albin ... /116767511

It also shows the name "Pacific" on the trailer, I'd guess they are a West Coast builder. ;)

Edit - I just looked them up: http://www.pacifictrailers.com/
Give them a call.

One more edit - Looked over their on line brochure. They list "Super Heavy Duty" tri-axle trailers with a 20,000lb GVWR - for boats up to 40'!

I believe the 31TE with twins has NO keel, just a very conventional underside, I know I had asked this question once before. So you're talking several inches of additional draft with the single. However, the single, I would assume weighs less. Haven't been able to find good specs on the weight though. Every listing (twin and single) in my brief search shows 14,000lbs.
Doug
Sonny IV
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

I think on the 31 they call it a half keel since it runs approx half way down lenth. Actually the full keel is a feature I wish the 31 twins had, offering the additional protection and support of the rudders and props against groundings damage.. With twins the rudders appear to be larger and without the steel bar protecton thet runs from the bottom of rudder to keel. After owning several single screw vessels, the security and ease of handling the 31 with twins outweighs the additional cost of the fuel & maintenance.. Even with the twins a nice bow thruster would be a nice additional feature as situations due occur,,, Best of luck on your search
PS I would be glad to send you a cell phone pic if you are interested
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”