• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Southern Marinas

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Southern Marinas

Post by tbnolin »

Well, this winter to say the least has been a "good ole New England" winter. Lot's of snow and cold (-35 one morning at our shop, no wind, just dead cold, and I work construction :cry: ).It has been brought to my attention that we should seriously think of cruising south next fall and spend the winter where it is a little milder then here in the Green Mountain state. I was shocked to hear this....well....no, not really. After 33 years of being here, I think she's ready to try something different. Sooooo, I think I'm going to start shopping around for a place to hang out at for next year. I was wondering if any of you southern boaters have any suggestions on where to go or where not to go. Any comments would surely be appreciated.
This isn't a done deal, but she is more serious than ever, and that scares me!!
Thanks!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Home, Treasure Island, Florida

Re: Southern Marinas

Post by Chuck Waygood »

How far south are you thinking? Living aboard? Brunswick Georgia has a great live aboard marina. And several on the East coast of Florida. Get a bit more specific...
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Gunny »

While having never lived in the marina at Brunswick I would like to add a few words. As for crusiers they are exrtremely friendy and receptive. The marina is well run and the town is an experiance or as I say "a throw back to my childhood days" being raised in the south. Nice shops and good southeren cooking await the visitor to Brunswick. The marina is pet friendly and the facilities are more than adequate. I have definately done worse.
Gunny
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Gunny »

Fforget to add I have now and have kept a boat in Charleston,SC for ten years or so. You would find Charleston a nice consideration to drop anchor. A fun city and as diverse as any can be. Many boating and sailing organizations available for your consideration. Charleston Yacht Club of which I am a member has great crusies and social functions as well as a fantastic youth sailing program. When looking for a slip visit many marinas and look especially for the owners slips tht are very negotiable as to price at some marinas. Dockage can be managed quite well that way. If heading this way drop a note and I will help if I can.
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Well Chuck, that's a good question, as far as how far down south. I guess we are considering anything below the Carolinas, unless someone can say that they stay at a place in South Carolina that is fantastic and worth a look.. I looked up Brunswick and I will say, it is appealing. I asked for some info to be emailed. The east coast of Florida or even Oceechobee is a consideration, unless I hear differently about Ocheechobee. We would be live aboards.

Gunny, thanks for the heads up when looking for a slip. I guess you could say we are extremely flexible at this point. I will certainly check out Charleston. What would the average temp be in the winter time. Do you need to be afraid of the cold as far as freeze ups? I would not want to have to winterize anything if I could help it.

Again thanks,
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC

Return to “General Discussion”