• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

2001 Albin 28 TE

Mark C
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Kalama Washington

2001 Albin 28 TE

Post by Mark C »

I almost became a Albine 28 TE owner. Over the internet I found a 2001 28 TE http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2001/Al ... s-2013749/ . After having my offer accepted I drove the 700 miles, The picture and description were correct with one omission the collision the boat had with a bridge support. About 5 feet of the port bow just above water line needed major repair plus the boat was about 3/4 swamped. The boat was about 1 year old when this happened. I was lucky the surveyor Loran Gould of San Francisco Marine Surveyors knows is stuff I highly recommend him. I want to get the word out so others will know the truth.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: 2001 Albin 28 TE

Post by DougSea »

Hey Mark,

I guess my question is...was the repair done properly and now, 10 years after the accident, how does she perform? While I certainly agree that the accident should have been disclosed I don't see what the issue is now. Any problems arising from the swamping should have revealed themselves years ago.

Besides identifying the facts of the accident what did the surveyor say about the boat? Run away? Appoach with caution? :) Seems like a strong negotiating point. The pictures appear to show a well kept boat.

Good luck with your search.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Mark C
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Kalama Washington

Re: 2001 Albin 28 TE

Post by Mark C »

I got very lucky with the surveyor he was the insurance company's surveyor for the repair. The repair was done well and is holding up well but repairs always have a hard spots that can fail. The survey was done yesterday 2-12-11 so I don't have written report yet. I was there when the survey was done. I saw the insurance collision report, it was operator error. There is only 600 hr on it, I don't think it was used very much after the collision but I don't know. There is a lot of oxidation on the underside of the engine, on the transmission and everything that at or below the "swamp level". The owner didn't do a good job on dealing with the swamping.

The surveyor informed me that under California law, not to disclose this collision is fraud,

I wanted to add the vessel is documented and the name is Roccus.

I like the ride and handling of these boats, I want one.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”